GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Full Track Prep?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Gas will be the least of my concerns, especially at $2/gallon. I averaged 20 mpg driving it home yesterday, but expect to get about 4 on track. Keeping tires on it is my biggest concern. Then, there was that painful call to Allstate.

Book says I have to put 1500 miles on it, then change oil, brake fluid, and differential fluid before heading to the track. Chances are I won't keep it more than a year or so, but I wanted to try it while I still can.

First world problems, I know......

View attachment 164633View attachment 164634
Sounds like you're planning to run 87 in that bad boy on track. Enjoy blowing the motor.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
OK, premium is more, but fuel will still be one of my smaller expenses. The manual does suggest using 100 octane in hot weather, though, which would even things up quickly. This probably won't be a long lasting affair.....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I was wondering where you get 91/93 octane for $2 gallon.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
OK, premium is more, but fuel will still be one of my smaller expenses. The manual does suggest using 100 octane in hot weather, though, which would even things up quickly. This probably won't be a long lasting affair.....
Fuel be one of the smaller expenses? ???
G4ZNYMQVMH6us.gif

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Fuel be one of the smaller expenses?

Never said it was a cheap habit. Adding power makes it more expensive. I added 100 HP and aero to my M3, and saw a dramatic reduction in tire, brake and fluid life. For the ZL1, 200 miles @ 4 mpg even @ $3.50/gallon works out to $175 per weekend. I'm hoping a $1500 set of tires will last through a weekend. I might be surprised, but I'm not counting on it. Maybe two weekends on a $400 set of stock pads, double that cost for race pads. Rotor life is an unknown, and probably related to pad choice, but they aren't cheap either. $600 entry fee. I could run lower cost events and tool around in traffic all day so everything will last longer..... but I drive "FLAT OUT". (couldn't resist) We won't even get into travel and lodging expenses. Might also do track insurance, at least until I get some confidence in myself and the car. And of course, there's the cost of beer....

At the end of the year, I hope to be able to say "Been there, done that" and move on, but we will see.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think an R is strong enough to take that kind of abuse reliably if you're also looking to increase power, but if you have the money and want a VW then there's little else. I think a used Porsche would be the better buy.

tWat

Ready to race!
Congrats! Is it a auto or manual?
I think that for GT3 like performance it's actually cheap to run on track. I keep going back and forth on dumping the Z06 for one.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Mine is a manual. I love the DSG in my R, but the manual really seems to fit the character of this car. A friend of mine came by and drove it Friday. He was impressed enough that Saturday he traded his 2020 Supra for one. He previously had a 2014 GT3, and the ZL1 is a more engaging car to drive on the road. As you said, on the track it is just as fast or better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wish I liked the Camaro, because at every price point it's fantastic, but I just don't.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I wish I liked the Camaro, because at every price point it's fantastic, but I just don't.
Can’t argue. It sucks as a daily driver. Rides like a brick, no space inside for as much as a cell phone, poor visibility if you are at all “vertically challenged”, lousy MPG, high insurance, etc. But, it does drive well, and I plan to use it almost exclusively on track. Sounds good too!

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been tracking my Golf R about once a month and enjoying it. I am interested to see if anything fails on the car and they bring up track usage.....I guess I'll eventually find out.