GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Full Track Prep?

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I have a fully prepared E36M3 that I have been tracking for over 20 years now, and I'm starting to get bored with it. I'm still finding ways to get faster in it, but it is becoming apparent that 30 years of chassis design, engine performance, suspension, and braking development make a difference. I've taken my stock Golf R out a few times now, and have been impressed with how well it did stock.

Has anyone here gotten serious with track prep? I'm talking gutted interior, seats, harnesses, cage (or at least roll bar). Plan would be to tow it to the track, not drive it. I've seen numerous brake and suspension upgrades, but not much more.

I've looked at going the ZL1 1LE or GT350/R route, but those cars are just so big and heavy. GT4 is lots more money, and only slightly faster than my M3 in it's current state. Just wondering what the potential is for this car to run with the big dogs with the right preparation. I know the VW Motorsport TCR is capable of the kind of performance I'm looking for (Youtube video has one doing about 1:30 at RdAtl), but they are GT4 money..... Sure would be fun to run down a well driven GT350 in a Golf!

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
This doesn't really answer your question, but if I were going to make a dedicated track car, I'd focus on something simple, easy to repair, and RWD. Too many things to go wrong with a mk7 R IMO.

Have you considered a C6Z? N/A, huge aftermarket support, tons of people with track experience on the platform, etc. Things can be seriously quick. Here's a vid of a guy I know setting the TT1 record at my former home track (RIP TWS). https://youtu.be/XQqXm2F6eLk

Navi

Autocross Champion
This doesn't really answer your question, but if I were going to make a dedicated track car, I'd focus on something simple, easy to repair, and RWD. Too many things to go wrong with a mk7 R IMO.

Have you considered a C6Z? N/A, huge aftermarket support, tons of people with track experience on the platform, etc. Things can be seriously quick. Here's a vid of a guy I know setting the TT1 record at my former home track (RIP TWS). https://youtu.be/XQqXm2F6eLk

this lol. Start with a better chassis/layout. Sucks that e92 M3 prices have gone up so much. Great platform to start with and then modify.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You guys make great suggestions... those C5, 6 or even C7s would be perfect, that LS V8 is great, same with the chassis... but he is talking about ZL1 1LEs and GT350Rs "being big and heavy", nothing about pricey? (but he did mention "GT4 money" there....)

Why not buy a brand spanking new corvette C8 then? I think this generation is the one to get brand new... before i would always say... ha, ill wait 5-10 years and get a used vette... but god damn, i would love to have this one new to me from the start....

OP if you can afford one, get that! You should run everything down then....

(I dont think that e93 with the S65 would be as reliable as an LS for the track, that LS would be much easier to maintain too... much easier to upgrade...)

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
If I were to do the Corvette thing, I’d probably go with a C7 GS. Seems to be the sweet spot in the lineup. Hard to explain, but the C6 just drives awkward to me, and I’ve seen too many having to be pushed onto a trailer after breaking something. I’ve definitely considered the E92 option, and have even looked at a few recently. If I still had my 2011 E92....

I’m never going to spend enough to win every HPDE (Red group with Chin can be humbling sometimes), but the “underdog” thing appeals to me. I get some of that with my 25 year old M3.

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
If it were me, I'd get a Mazda MX 5 Miata.
7500 rpm redline, 2365 lbs. What's not to like.
This would be an autox car and occasional road course vehicle. I'm 90 min from Sebring and that car would be ......fun.

And it's available in either an auto or a manual......yes please.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
For a track car, it's really hard to beat a C5 Z06, add a larger radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler and you're all done. Huge bang for the buck, very reliable.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
If it were me, I'd get a Mazda MX 5 Miata.
7500 rpm redline, 2365 lbs. What's not to like.
This would be an autox car and occasional road course vehicle. I'm 90 min from Sebring and that car would be ......fun.

Fun for AutoX...if you find AutoX fun. I've never understood the appeal of its extremely unfavorable driving-to-waiting ratio.

The Miata isn't great on a road course unless you also enjoy driving with one arm out the window pointing all the faster cars by — and they're all faster.

Where the Miata absolutely shines is on the street, where it's plenty fast enough and has great handling.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Has anyone here gotten serious with track prep? I'm talking gutted interior, seats, harnesses, cage (or at least roll bar). Plan would be to tow it to the track, not drive it. I've seen numerous brake and suspension upgrades, but not much more.

Among the groups I run with I have taken my R farther along than anyone I can think of, but it is still a daily driver, albeit a track-ratty one. I have no plans to turn it into a track-only car but I do know who to call in my area if I wanted to make that happen. And I imagine you know who to call in your area.

If I were to do the Corvette thing, I’d probably go with a C7 GS. Seems to be the sweet spot in the lineup. Hard to explain, but the C6 just drives awkward to me, and I’ve seen too many having to be pushed onto a trailer after breaking something. I’ve definitely considered the E92 option, and have even looked at a few recently. If I still had my 2011 E92....

I’m never going to spend enough to win every HPDE (Red group with Chin can be humbling sometimes), but the “underdog” thing appeals to me. I get some of that with my 25 year old M3.

One of our SoCal guys runs a track-prepped C6Z and has commented to me that many of the problems his chassis mods were installed to solve come from the factory with the C7 chassis. The C7 GS definitely offers a lot of bang for the buck with examples selling in the mid-50's. The wave of C7 GS cars coming off lease probably hasn't yet arrived.

I have a lot of friends in the BMW community, and several of them are campaigning and winning with S54-swapped E36M cars like yours (P1 in E0 at Thunderhill 25, NASA Nationals, etc), so while you may be bored with it, it is not a slow car by any means.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Fun for AutoX...if you find AutoX fun. I've never understood the appeal of its extremely unfavorable driving-to-waiting ratio.

The Miata isn't great on a road course unless you also enjoy driving with one arm out the window pointing all the faster cars by — and they're all faster.

Where the Miata absolutely shines is on the street, where it's plenty fast enough and has great handling.

LS swap

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the suggestions, but it looks like the answer to my original question is “No”.

NCM nailed my thoughts on a Miata, although with the right prep (think Global MX-5 Cup) they can be amazingly quick, but that also gets into GT4 money.

C5Z is bang for buck winner, but I’m just really not a Corvette guy. Besides, I can run with most of them in my old M3.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Cliff, I’ve been watching your posts for some time. I may contact you via PM to discuss your experience.

Thanks, all.

Go for it. Although I may be slow to respond this weekend if the Kincade fire does not cause the cancellation of our event at Sonoma Raceway (fire and ambulance crews are scarce at the moment - the track and nearby businesses are unscathed).