GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

golf R exhaust tips

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
mk7 is held on by clips, mk7.5 is spot welded

yeah, makes it hard to work on. If you want to paint, you'll need to drop the entire unit. I'm torn between painting and using a course "flap sander" on my drill to give it a satin finish look. Did flap sander on my previous mustang and it turned out nice...

RedGolfR25177

I've been looking at replacement catback exhausts for the R, but I simply can't justify spending $1300-$1500 on an exhaust. Right now the car sounds good with just the resonator delete and turning off the soundakator, but I'd like to change out the exhaust tips. I've looked and I've not found a decent DIY or suggestion on tips to buy. I'd prefer to do this myself and get some clamp on tips. Right now I'm not a big fan of the oval tips, would like to install some round tips that aren't slashed preferably in black, grey or satin. Suggestions?
You could cut the spot welds off and have them powder coated. Them have someone weld them back on

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you cut tips off, weld in straighter tips, then add on your slip on tips?

Sure, that's doable, just need to find the right shop what will work with you to make the changes. At that point, why not just weld in some new tips? Ton of options once you start cutting, I was hoping to avoid that, but doesn't seem possible with the 7.5 exhaust.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I've been looking at replacement catback exhausts for the R, but I simply can't justify spending $1300-$1500 on an exhaust. Right now the car sounds good with just the resonator delete and turning off the soundakator, but I'd like to change out the exhaust tips. I've looked and I've not found a decent DIY or suggestion on tips to buy. I'd prefer to do this myself and get some clamp on tips. Right now I'm not a big fan of the oval tips, would like to install some round tips that aren't slashed preferably in black, grey or satin. Suggestions?

Start w/Post #202 (skip #192...Lol, you will see why_)

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7452545-Mxrider9239-Mk7-Golf-R-Build/page9

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Curious how that would work considering the 7.5R's tips are completely oval from the muffler out.

olds350

Passed Driver's Ed
Curious how that would work considering the 7.5R's tips are completely oval from the muffler out.
There's a bit of straight pipe after the bend and prior to the exit flair where it's ovaled. You'll have to remove the chrome tips and then cut the pipe right before the flair and then weld in some straight pipe. From there you could add any tip you wanted...

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
So I've found out. I'll be doing this in the spring. I hate the oem tips.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
You don't like old school excessively long straight tips? Skip 202 too. WTH in Riceland is that thing between the pipes?

Rear diffuser. All the kids are doing it these days...

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
It adds about as much power as changing exhaust tips.