GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R engine.. in a standard mk7?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@Richardvwr; I’d suggest that your brother also considers the insurance implications. UK insurers would consider these changes to be pretty major modifications for the purposes car insurance, so it’s likely they would be looking for a sizeable increase in premium.

It would be worth your brother checking with his insurance company on how willing they (or any other insurer) would be to cover his car If you go ahead with this, and what the likely cost of insurance would be.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a quick one, if all the wiring is taken from the R and put inside the normal 1.4 golf , - Am i correct in saying component protection shouldnt be an issue?

Correct...& thats what the bloke who built the R estate did..........

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Am I the only one that caught the part about getting drunk and going for a drive in the fields to play bumper cars?

I tried to ignore that...I mean with an "R" also..must have money...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just what is the range for the cost of insurance for an R in London?

high..but not as high as a BMW which is nicked more...

Give you an idea I have no claims, no points, car garaged overnight, & pay circa £345 full comp on my car & 3rd party on anybody else's car (this is not standard anymore in UK) & I live in the lowest rated postcode group in UK....(group A)

London has various rated postcodes, with many in the highest risk groups......(D, E, F).........F being the highest in UK.

My car is UK insurance group 15E, a Golf R hatch is 34E......the highest is group 50, lowest is group 1

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Postcode where the car is kept is a significant factor in the price you pay for your car insurance in the UK. However, the algorithms that insurers use to calculate premiums will be pretty complex, using multiple risk factors - postcode being just one of the risk factors used.

Other risk factors insurers will almost certainly use to calculate premiums will be;
  • the age and driving experience of all drivers
  • number of years claims free driving
  • number and type of claims
  • occupation
  • marital status
  • annual mileage driven
  • use of vehicle, and whether used for commuting or business activities
  • the vehicle itself, details of any modifications to the vehicle.
I’d be pretty sure there’ll be other risk factors used too; some that won’t that obvious to the likes of the humble car owner. Some insurers will also vary the APR % for customers who pay for their car insurance monthly - the APR used being based on an individual customer‘a credit rating.

So in answer to @The Fed ’s question ’what’s the range of prices you could pay to insure an R in London?‘ - the range could be quite large, bearing in mind the multiple risk factors used by insurers and the range of responses to these questions that individual customers / policyholders will give.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie