GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R downpipe on stock Alltrack

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the reply. Would I have to weld the reducer to the R pipe or could I just use v-band clamps.

Or is it that the reducer wouldn't slip over the R pipe, hence cutting the R pipe and welding the reducer in.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
the reducer is the same size pipe, so it wont slip over and neither piece would have V-bands on them to use a V-band clamp. You could use a sleeve type clamp, same style that the factory uses, would need to get 2 of them, one for the downpipe side and one for the catback side, or have the reducer welded to the R downpipe, then you only need 1 clamp

tigeo

Autocross Champion
65 to 60mm. You can do it a few ways - easiest (to me) is a custom 65/60mm ID adapter you can have 42 Draft Designs make you - this will fit OVER both and you just need to 2 clamps to clamp it on to either side. If you do a 65/60mm OD adapter (butt end adapter) you'll need 2 sleeve clamps for either side and this will increase the overall length of the DP so you will have to cut an equal length off of it to make that work.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I guess the is12 doesn't move enough air to warrant a R downpipe or any aftermarket one.

My Alltrack is stock but I will someday do an is20. I think the R downpipe will pair nicely at the point. I'm subject to emission testing and would prefer the larger factory converter. I don't want any cels for catalyst below threshold.

Good information so far?

Yeah that's a good plan. In the meantime, you can get the Clubsport S Muffler to wake up your factory exhaust :D

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
So I finally installed the R downpipe, gotta say it was kinda a pain in the ass. Removal was the worst part the install went much quicker. I don't see how this would be possible to do on jackstands. I used a fullsize shop lift. The R pipe has a shorter secondary converter than the Alltrack one.

It seems a touch quicker, possibly faster spool and there is just a little more exhaust noise. Have not had a chance for any logs yet so any gains may be placebo.
I have been JB4 for a few months and ethanol is my friend now. Next tank I'll do a blend and see how that pairs with this downpipe.
Overall glad I did it OEM plus for the win😁 20200621_100016.jpg

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not sure you'll notice a huge gain in a single gear pull (especially 3rd). It may make more of a difference in a 4th gear pull where you're in boost for longer.

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Which route did you end up going to connect the Golf R downpipe to your stock exhaust? Cost?
Well I bought several 2.25/2.5 inch reducers ID and OD. None of them worked because the the stock exhaust is 60mm and R pipe is 65mm. So I ended up cutting one of the reducers to where it would slip over the stock exhaust basically making a larger surface area.Then bought a 65mm oem band clamp. This worked perfectly.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well I bought several 2.25/2.5 inch reducers ID and OD. None of them worked because the the stock exhaust is 60mm and R pipe is 65mm. So I ended up cutting one of the reducers to where it would slip over the stock exhaust basically making a larger surface area.Then bought a 65mm oem band clamp. This worked perfectly.
Easiest way to do it would be to contact 42DD and have them make you a custom one. An over/over would work well here - DP end is 65mm ID and stock exhaust end of the adapter would need to be 60mm ID. Then you just use 2 band clamps to clamp each side down. I had them make me a similar one to hook my R/S3 resonator delete pipe up to the stock axle-back.

VdubAlltrack

Go Kart Newbie
Easiest way to do it would be to contact 42DD and have them make you a custom one. An over/over would work well here - DP end is 65mm ID and stock exhaust end of the adapter would need to be 60mm ID. Then you just use 2 band clamps to clamp each side down. I had them make me a similar one to hook my R/S3 resonator delete pipe up to the stock axle-back.
I believe you mentioned this earlier in the thread. I did contact 42DD and they told me they could not do this which I thought was strange. Said they only come with their downpipes. I did not press the issue.

There are proper 65mm id to 60mm id adapters but they seem to be overseas. Looking back I should have ordered one of them. But all is well that ends well

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I believe you mentioned this earlier in the thread. I did contact 42DD and they told me they could not do this which I thought was strange. Said they only come with their downpipes. I did not press the issue.

There are proper 65mm id to 60mm id adapters but they seem to be overseas. Looking back I should have ordered one of them. But all is well that ends well
Weird. I just sent them the specs for the adapter and they made it. It was about $40 delivered.