GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R downpipe on GTI?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I tried searching the forum without much luck on this topic, but a couple of questions that hopefully someone has some insight into...

1. I was able to confirm they are different part numbers (5QM-254-500-K for GTI, 5Q0-254-502-MX for R)- what is the actual difference though? Higher flow cat?

2. Will the R downpipe be a direct fit on the GTI?

3. Tied back to question 1 - would there be any performance gain? What would be the cost/benefit? My thought was that if an R owner was selling it as a take-off part, you could get a good deal. Obviously, it wouldn't have the same impact as a good aftermarket downpipe, but it could be a good way to reduce backpressure, avoid a CEL and add a little HP on the cheap, especially if you're only on a stock or stage 1 tune.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
No, it will not physically fit in the GTI.

Ferretvrs

No difference in flow either as the is38 (turbo from the R) will bolt straight into the gti and use same pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They're both right. The dp to turbo connection and tubing size are the same.

But, the Golf R dp makes a gradual s curve under the car to allow clearance for the driveshaft. So where it ends to meet the catback is off center and won't match a gti CBE

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lmao can't be a ah!t show every time.

As far as a budget gti dp there's plenty of options out there.

For example I was lucky enough to snag a free CTS catless dp. I'm not into the associated smell (wife and kids) of catless so I added a $70 Flowmaster 200cell cat and boom! Perfect

You could also do the same with a cheap eBay dp. I added my cat where the dp clamps together under the car. Since they only split the dp there to reduced shipping cost it's better to weld it, eliminating the chance of leaks from the extra clamp (this is a common problem with cheap eBay and USP downpipes)

KidCanuck

Sorry to bring this dead thread back to life,,,, but would an MK7 Golf R downpipe be a direct fit onto an MK7 sportwagen? since they are both AWD they bends/angles should be similar?
if it does indeed bolt on... will there be gains in power or sound?