GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Clutch Recommendations

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Theres lots of threads to parse through if you google key works “golf r stage 2 clutch forum” between Vortex and this forum.
To hold stage 2 power reliably you have people swearing their dual mass lesser torque rated setups are just fine while others experienced slip within 10k miles, you’ll read about peeps worrying about crank walk with certain setups but this is both luck and high pressure plate ratings related (theres a thread to guide you through most clutch kits and their ratings). Ultimately a lot of us go southbend stage 3 single mass flywheel or some brave souls do the DMS kit, as we dont mind the chatter as a trade off to have a clutch that will last for a long time at Stage 2 torque.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Do you daily the car? Do you mind chatter? I really liked the rsr clutch. Broken in it feels stock, won’t have any issues with stage 2 power.

RapGameBlueberryWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It's a daily driver and I do mind chatter. I want an OEM feel but capable of withstanding the torque. I did find the Sachs clutch kit that works with the stock dual mass flywheel but it's back ordered with no ETA. I would like to find something similar if anyone has any recommendations.

RapGameBlueberryWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It's a daily driver and I do mind chatter. I want an OEM feel but capable of withstanding the torque. I did find the Sachs clutch kit that works with the stock dual mass flywheel but it's back ordered with no ETA. I would like to find something similar if anyone has any recommendations.
Ordered one directly from Sachs. I will update after installation.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think you made the right choice with the Sachs, it's definitely my top 2. It seems for the SMF (chatter), many are loving their Southbends, but I been there a few times before with a SMF, just not for me anymore.

Keep going towards Sachs and the Ringer Racing Stage 3 clutch : https://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=715
I think I am going to do this during the winter / early spring unless my clutch goes sooner!

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I think you made the right choice with the Sachs, it's definitely my top 2. It seems for the SMF (chatter), many are loving their Southbends, but I been there a few times before with a SMF, just not for me anymore.

Keep going towards Sachs and the Ringer Racing Stage 3 clutch : https://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=715
I think I am going to do this during the winter / early spring unless my clutch goes sooner!

I really like my southbend stg3 daily paired with the dieselgeek sigma 6. Totally changed the feel of the car even on the stock tune during break in. The shifter feel is great. That being said the chatter is bad! I wanted the added security because I will go bigger turbo eventually and only want to change clutches once. Some say theirs isn’t too loud but that’s definitely not been my experience so far!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
SB stage 3 daily clutch does chatter quite a bit at idle, even with A/C off. Sounds like some kid rooting through a 5 gallon bucket of Legos.
I do have poly mounts though, which probably make it worse.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
If you want something like the Sachs/Audi DMF kit (I have one in my car) get the RSR. It’s a similar setup, just holds more power. I was just a cheapass and got mine for $550 including new DMF vs the $1K RSR, else I’d have gone RSR.

*Edit. I see you located one.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
SB stage 3 daily clutch does chatter quite a bit at idle, even with A/C off. Sounds like some kid rooting through a 5 gallon bucket of Legos.
I do have poly mounts though, which probably make it worse.

ya, 15-20 years ago I would have likely went with a SMF, I had done it numerous times and learned from experience. I will only stick with the DMF now, plus this will likely be the last 6MT I will be able to buy

For SMF, for sure I think the SB's are the way to go! I haven't heard a bad thing about them thats for sure

The RSR hybrid is also a great option, just expensive $1279 vs $684, even opting for a high performance bearing has the Ringer Racer cheaper. Both handle similar power, I think both have the same clutch feel (near stock)

Last edited:

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT

I just ordered the Sachs Performance clutch and OEM flywheel from FCP. It’s been in my stage 1 GTI a week now and I just hit 400 miles. Pretty stiff at first broke in nicely. Now it’s not much stiffer than stock but engages lower and has more feel, not so dead feeling.

I never launch but it would be easier with the stiffer feel and decreased length of travel.

My stock clutch had 64K miles and my VW mechanic recommended replacing the flywheel and rear main seal.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I just ordered the Sachs Performance clutch and OEM flywheel from FCP. It’s been in my stage 1 GTI a week now and I just hit 400 miles. Pretty stiff at first broke in nicely. Now it’s not much stiffer than stock but engages lower and has more feel, not so dead feeling.

I never launch but it would be easier with the stiffer feel and decreased length of travel.

My stock clutch had 64K miles and my VW mechanic recommended replacing the flywheel and rear main seal.
I have some flavor of this clutch as well, though the pedal is still pretty heavy after around 20K. Not break in heavy but I’m used to it. Push it by hand and hold it to the floor to remove the assist spring and you realize how heavy it really is. Engages much lower than stock still. I bled mine after break in and it raised it up a wee bit. I may have experienced slip a couple times getting on it, though it could be an incorrect perception. Taking it to a dyno soon, which should confirm or deny that suspicion.