GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R at Oregon Raceway Park - CW

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
We were supposed to run the track both directions, but we had snow flurries Sunday morning that changed to rain showers and I opted not to go out. Fortunately Saturday was fairly nice until the end of the day when it began to hail and eventually snowed.

Here are 3 laps from my last session on Saturday that I mostly spent chasing a caged E46 M3. This was my first visit to ORP and it is a challenging track. Many of the apexes are blind but following the proper line will take you to them. There is a huge amount of elevation change at this track. I am told that the CCW direction is faster and more fun, and I caught a brief ride Sunday morning with a friend before he said "screw this" about the track conditions and came in.

The new mods were solid. The traction control intervened once or twice with the new coilovers and seemed happier after I partially defeated it. I did not experience any behaviors that would make me want to turn down/turn off XDS. I need to take a look at the catch can as it looks like it caught quite a lot and I was a quart low Sunday morning.

Last edited:

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Nice... [emoji4] What data logging devices are you using?
Any list of mods to your car?

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
Great video Cliff! Quality and data are very helpful. Thanks for the informative posts. Learning some things...

What do you think about the line the m3 took at 2:45, versus the line you took?

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Great video Cliff! Quality and data are very helpful. Thanks for the informative posts. Learning some things...

What do you think about the line the m3 took at 2:45, versus the line you took?

His car rotates better than mine so it's easier for him to go a little deep and use his throttle to bring the back of his car out. The first 2 turns in that 3-4-5 complex are throwaways. The key turn is T5 because that leads to a fast straight.

track map: https://oregonraceway.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/orp_track_map-outline-v2-.pdf

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
We were supposed to run the track both directions, but we had snow flurries Sunday morning that changed to rain showers and I opted not to go out. Fortunately Saturday was fairly nice until the end of the day when it began to hail and eventually snowed.

Nice laps. Shame to hear about the weather; I had a lot more fun CCW last time I was there.

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
Turns 5-4-3 seemed to flow better CCW than going CW and I am sure T1 is less stressful since it's a big sweeper leading to a straight instead of a big sweeper at the end of a straight.

T1 was super scary for me in a RWD car. I went off there twice when going CW. Both times I could've made it, but it scared me and I took the easy off. :(