GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R and Dolly Sods

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if the 2016 Golf R (base) has enough ground clearance for the dirt road into Dolly Sods WV? Thanks

drshark

Ready to race!
We went in the R in 2019; hiking for a couple hours and left. I don't remember it being terrible dirt roads to drive on. Maybe it's just where we were in the park...

drshark

Ready to race!
P.S.: lots of other places to hike around there if you really feel like you're in too deep. Thinking of Plan B...

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
Not sure if you've already made the trip but I've driven to trailheads on both sides of Dolly Sods in the GTI and never had an issue.

Its mostly gravel roads but there are the occasional pot holes, rocks etc. Just keep a reasonable speed and pay attention and you'll be fine. The only issue I ran into was parking on the side of the road (it was crowded and this was overflow) there were some places I knew ground clearance would be an issue and had to keep searching.

Have fun, it's a beautiful place to explore!

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going next week. I've looked at photos and videos of the gravel roads (some from this year) and they look quite passable. I'll let you know after I return.

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the tires are at the recommended pressure, which is 39 psi.

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, there was a lady who doesn't like to drive in the dark so I drove her Honda CRV. I drove clear to Bear Rocks and back. There were only 2 spots where it might have been iffy for the R. I think it would have cleared them but if you approached them the wrong way it might not. Conditions change on this "road" but I believe if you drive slowly and carefully, the Golf R can make it thru Dolly Sods - but be careful of that plastic oil pan!