GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Mk7 - What to look for before buying?

Marton

Car(s)
Golf MK7
I'm looking to buy a Golf Mk7 (2014-), 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI with DSG.
Are there any common issues that I should be aware of? Anything that I should pay extra attention to during the test drive?
I'll get a pre-purchase inspection done at the nearest mechanic, but it would be nice to avoid paying for it if there's an obvious serious issue.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The big one I keep hearing about on the GTI is the thermostat housing/water pump, look for coolant leaks. Otherwise I have a very minor lighting issue, the door sill light doesn't light up but is being replaced Thursday under warranty. I'm sure other issues will come to light as these cars age further, but in general it seems to be a large step above from the earlier 2.0Ts. For the Golf, I'm not too aware of many issues, what kind of mileage are you targeting? Not sure if the Golfs also have the different 'modes', but I'd put it on 'Eco' mode so you can hear any unusual noises over the Soundaktor.

Best of luck in your search!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm looking to buy a Golf Mk7 (2014-), 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI with DSG.
Are there any common issues that I should be aware of? Anything that I should pay extra attention to during the test drive?
I'll get a pre-purchase inspection done at the nearest mechanic, but it would be nice to avoid paying for it if there's an obvious serious issue.

With any used car its best to get an independent inspection, as it can suffer the same basic mechanical neglect...

If its over 5yrs old, it should have the timing belts done.

Look for water coming in via the speakers into the footwells (common problem on Golfs & VAG cars since 2000yr)...