GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK7 GTI Performance oil and water

davidbag

Hi guys I have a big doubt about the refrigerator liquid(G13) and motor oil.
Yesterday I received, while driving, a warning to make a check up on the G13 water. I went and it was almost on the minimum! I bought and I put! Today it was normal, but I did not drove a lot to see any diference! Today afternoon I wet see it again, and I decided to make a check up to the motor oil! And it was on the minimum also!
I went to VW, and I bought 1L, and the guy told me that on these new cars the brand says that these new car "drinks" more or less 0,5L per 1000KM.

As all of you has more knowledge than me on the MK7, is this normal?

Since last maintenance -26000KM- til now - almost 34000KM - it drinker 1L?

Can some one "help me"?

Thanks

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If your antifreeze is running low then you have a legitimate problem. Unfortunately, these cars actually do burn oil, so there isn't much one can do about the oil consumption thing. Some cars eat more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
My oil consumption seems to be fairly low. Usually if you are losing water something else might be wrong. Waterpump failure are known in older models....

davidbag

If your antifreeze is running low then you have a legitimate problem. Unfortunately, these cars actually do burn oil, so there isn't much one can do about the oil consumption thing. Some cars eat more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do the checkup to the antifreeze every day, to see...

About the oil? a new car? now I must put petrol and Oil? if is says 0,50L per 1000, at the end of 10.000KM I've already made the oil change (Joking)...
I could not understand it on a new model!!!

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
@davidbag

G13 coolant
The mk 7 EA888 2.0 TSI have water cooled (G13) exhaust manifold. This part is very hot! It's a great advantage when the engine is cold, goes much faster to operating temperature which means good heating in the car and reduced fuel consumption.

I have heard that these engines consume a small amount of coolant, e.g. some treads about it on this forum. My Golf 7 R consumes some coolant, no leaks. You can just add some every 6 month or so.

Oil consumption
34000 km -26000 km is 8000 km. 1 litre is nothing to worry about on such a distance. Are you 100% sure it was fully toped up after service at 26000 km? If not you can't be sure if it used 1 litre....

Modern engines are designed as low friction engines to save fuel. The backside of this is in many cases some oil consumption.

/Peter

Last edited:

davidbag

@davidbag

G13 coolant
The mk 7 EA888 2.0 TSI have water cooled (G13) exhaust manifold. This part is very hot! It's a great advantage when the engine is cold, goes much faster to operating temperature which means good heating in the car and reduced fuel consumption.

I have heard that these engines consume a small amount of coolant, e.g. some treads about it on this forum. My Golf 7 R consumes some coolant, no leaks. You can just add some every 6 month or so.

Oil consumption
34000 km -26000 km is 8000 km. 1 litre is nothing to worry about on such a distance. Are you 100% sure it was fully toped up after service at 26000 km? If not you can't be sure if it used 1 litre....

Modern engines are designed as low friction engines to save fuel. The backside of this is in many cases some oil consumption.

/Peter

@Peter
I bought the car 3 weeks ago! I bought to a to a private person! When I saw he car everything seems ok! I just didn't saw the oil, but checked "almost" everything! He was selling one of the two cars, he has Audi S5 and the GTI and needed to sell one!
Now I am sure that the oil it is fully toped and the water i did not put too much...!
I will control to see!

wave

Ready to race!
Like said above, the coolant fluid loss is a real concern. If it was just to top it off one time because it was low from an extended time, this would be normal. If there is more missing again after your most recent fill, you should have it looked at.

The oil consumption is indeed specified in your car's owners manual. They can use up the 1 Quart in 1200 miles (US). I believe this is the same as your 0,50L per 1000. VW says this is normal.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Regarding the coolant loss, have a look under the car to see if there is any tell tale deposits showing a leak. My thermostat housing was leaking....well weeping and over a few weeks it was below minimum. It was fixed under warranty and has been perfect since.

As for the oil, it did use oil to start with but doesn't use any now.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah another note about the oil consumption thing is that it tends to be inconsistent. Car seems to consume oil more in the winter and not in the spring/summer/fall.

snailmeat

Ready to race!
Regarding the coolant loss, have a look under the car to see if there is any tell tale deposits showing a leak. My thermostat housing was leaking....well weeping and over a few weeks it was below minimum. It was fixed under warranty and has been perfect since.

As for the oil, it did use oil to start with but doesn't use any now.
I have needed to top up my coolant occasionally too. Brought it in for a check yesterday and they found the same type of deposits. Eventually they said my water pump needs to be changed. Mine is a low mileage (13,000km) one and a half year old car.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

snailmeat

Ready to race!
I have needed to top up my coolant occasionally too. Brought it in for a check yesterday and they found the same type of deposits. Eventually they said my water pump needs to be changed. Mine is a low mileage (13,000km) one and a half year old car.

OK got the car back today. It wasn't the water pump in the end, but they did replace the thermostat housing.