GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK7 1.4 TSI Vs MK8 1.5

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi has anyone driven the MK8 1.5 (with independent suspension if possible) on here - and if so how did the handling - ride and perhaps economy compare to the 1.4

Thank you

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I tried one, as you can imagine it rides handles pretty much identical to the 1.4TSi Mk7, I've never driven a Golf without the independant suspension but apparently the difference is notciable. As for the engine, again very similar but with a tad more torque, you don't really notice the 'cylinder cut-off' kick in or out, though a message, pops up on the centre display, but the engine sounds a wee bit rough, lumpy or uneven when running on 2 cylinders. Seems that is normal and 'they all do that', hope this helps....

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried one, as you can imagine it rides handles pretty much identical to the 1.4TSi Mk7, I've never driven a Golf without the independant suspension but apparently the difference is notciable. As for the engine, again very similar but with a tad more torque, you don't really notice the 'cylinder cut-off' kick in or out, though a message, pops up on the centre display, but the engine sounds a wee bit rough, lumpy or uneven when running on 2 cylinders. Seems that is normal and 'they all do that', hope this helps....
Thanks very much. My Golf MK7 is now over 8 years old so I am thinking changing. It's been pretty reliable and very economical but as I do long drives ( pandemic permitting) I'd like something newer

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
You’ll hate the touch interface and downgrade of cabin materials.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
You’ll hate the touch interface and downgrade of cabin materials.
Yes silly of them to do away with the easy to use rotary controls.

Now restrictions have eased I'll be able to road test one.

I'm not definitely going to get a MK8 as I'm also looking at the new Citroen C4 and Corrolla ( both of which do have rotary controls)

FrightDeadFred

Does the new SEAT Leon have rotary controls, or has it also done away with them? If it still has physical controls then you could consider one of those as it's the same car as the Golf 8. Looks better too IMO.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi thanks for suggestion - sadly not and also its ride is a little on the firm side.

Perhaps if I was 35 years younger - but back then all I could afford was a 1.0L Mini Metro.

Last edited: