GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Mk 7 1.6 TDI 2013 TPMS Fault

steve12504

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 TDI
Hi,

After a long drive yesterday, I started getting a fault message on the dashboard yesterday which reads "Fault: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" accompanied by a flashing amber light in the Rev Counter display area, which goes solid amber after a few miles. The tyre pressures all look fine and are within tolerance (checked with an accurate gauge).

When I go to reset the TPMS, the setup screen there is a "TPMS Currently Not Available" message and "SET" doesn't work. I did manage to successfully set the system once yesterday, but then the fault came back 10 minutes later.

In addition, some other random errors are coming up. Some I have only seen once and then they disappear. Examples of faults that have only appeared once include Start/Stop system error, Auto Hold Error, ABS Error and ACC Front Assist error.

I read on this forum that a failing 12V battery can cause random errors. I know my 12V battery isn't particularly great. It's 9 years old and we don't drive the car much anymore as we have a VW ID-3 for short trips, so only use the Golf for long journeys. When the car is left in a cold garage for a week or more it does turn over slow when started.

I don't have any equipment to check VW fault codes. On that subject, could someone give me information on an inexpensive VCDS monitor that I can use to gain further insights into problems like this?

Below are the error screens. Please ignore the key battery warning. The key battery has been changed numerous times and the key battery error comes back after a few weeks, even with a new Duracell battery.

If anyone has any ideas on the TPMS Fault, I would appreciate feedback. Thank you.

20220319_200429.jpg
20220320_083135.jpg
20220320_083143.jpg
20220320_083156.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's amazing that you've got 9 years on a battery. Have someone do a "LOAD TEST" to make sure the battery is reading appropriately 12.5-12.6 volts when trying to cold start the car. Don't just get a battery voltage reading. It can read 12.6 volts but be low on cranking power.

steve12504

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 TDI
Thanks for your input Jim.

I think the battery may be quite sick as we did a 300 mile journey on Saturday, so that would have fully charged the battery. On Sunday (even with no load) the battery voltage was only 12.2V. I would have expected 12.8 - 13.0V. Under starting load I bet the voltage drops to 11.5V or lower. I have booked the car in to have the battery tested under load and changed if necessary. The garage will then try to reset the errors with VCDS and hope that solves them. If not they will take a look at the ABS sensors, as I understand they are used for the TPMS.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for your input Jim.

I think the battery may be quite sick as we did a 300 mile journey on Saturday, so that would have fully charged the battery. On Sunday (even with no load) the battery voltage was only 12.2V. I would have expected 12.8 - 13.0V. Under starting load I bet the voltage drops to 11.5V or lower. I have booked the car in to have the battery tested under load and changed if necessary. The garage will then try to reset the errors with VCDS and hope that solves them. If not they will take a look at the ABS sensors, as I understand they are used for the TPMS.

ABS sensors are used for all the braking, traction control, stability & TPMS systems..