GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI or Audi A3 Quattro?

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone, I was looking in a Audi A3 2015 2.0T Quattro and looked to be very interesting, same engine as the GTI, however its AWD, making it grip way better than the Golf. Regarding the tuning of it, is it the same parts for both cars? Is it as good to tune as the Golf gti is?
Thanks!!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep it's pretty much the same. It's a Golf R with an IS20 in simple terms (some engine differences but in simple terms that's the easiest). If you put on an IS38 you basically have a Golf R/S3.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
no hatch but more interior choices: seat type, color.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I test drove both the A3 quattro 2.0 w/sports suspension and the GTI.

To me the A3 felt alot closer to the Jetta GLI. (I had a Jetta Hybrid at the time)

The GTI cornered quicker and the suspension felt a little stiffer. I'd imagine the GTI is a little lighter and the wheels being closer to the corners contributes to that.

I remember when i got in the A3, it felt like i never left my Jetta Hybrid.

In the end I went with GTI because its cheaper and it was everything i wanted. The GTI was the car i was comparing all other cars to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pingers

Ready to race!
I test drove both the A3 quattro 2.0 w/sports suspension and the GTI.

To me the A3 felt alot closer to the Jetta GLI. (I had a Jetta Hybrid at the time)

The GTI cornered quicker and the suspension felt a little stiffer. I'd imagine the GTI is a little lighter and the wheels being closer to the corners contributes to that.

I remember when i got in the A3, it felt like i never left my Jetta Hybrid.

In the end I went with GTI because its cheaper and it was everything i wanted. The GTI was the car i was comparing all other cars to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own an Audi A3 Quattro and honestly I do enjoy my car, but for the cost I wish I would have gone with the S3 for the bigger turbo alone. If you're buying used they really aren't that far apart.

However, with all that being said, the GTI is a sick little ride and very budget friendly. I've heard peeps paying 18K for them NEW? I paid $29K for my Quattro used, CPO with only 4K miles but still. That's a huge difference.

All depends where your budget is and hatch vs sedan. Also I'm sure the Audi name alone is going to jack labor costs at the dealership.:rolleyes:

Antonioni fasano

Passed Driver's Ed
I own an Audi A3 Quattro and honestly I do enjoy my car, but for the cost I wish I would have gone with the S3 for the bigger turbo alone. If you're buying used they really aren't that far apart.

However, with all that being said, the GTI is a sick little ride and very budget friendly. I've heard peeps paying 18K for them NEW? I paid $29K for my Quattro used, CPO with only 4K miles but still. That's a huge difference.

All depends where your budget is and hatch vs sedan. Also I'm sure the Audi name alone is going to jack labor costs at the dealership.:rolleyes:

The S3 is a awsome choice, however it would be good to find one a little older like 2012 to get the same price as a used GTI mk7, however I dont know if they have them in USA

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE

On auto trader there is a $10k difference between the cheapest low mile premium and prestige. Wow

Pingers

Ready to race!
On auto trader there is a $10k difference between the cheapest low mile premium and prestige. Wow

At first I was like wtf, that's insanely cheap! Then I read the fine print for that one in Colorado Springs...

Vehicle title is branded.

Branding is the use of a permanent designation on a vehicle's title, registration or permit documents to indicate that a vehicle has been written off due to collision, fire or flood damage or has been sold for scrap.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
At first I was like wtf, that's insanely cheap! Then I read the fine print for that one in Colorado Springs...

Vehicle title is branded.

You're absolutely right I forgot to check. The cheapest A3 2.0T premium I saw under 15k miles was $21,994 plus "tax, tag, title and Warranty Rights Act fees."

Ecliipse

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as I know, the A3 and GTI are on the same "MQB" platform. That should mean that tuning and parts should be shared, for the most part. Both cars share the same engine and turbo, no worries :)

You'll notice that a lot of aftermarket parts are marketed for MQB platform cars so these parts should mix and match most of the time. Always ask the manufacturer for fitment confirmation if you aren't sure!

To see for yourself, perhaps browse ECStuning.com filtered for an A3 Quattro and look at performance parts. There is a fitment list provided and you should see the GTI and A3 together most of the time.

Just know that an AWD A3 is going to have some physical differences over the FWD GTI so you may need a different part number for your vehicle with some things like exhausts, I believe.

To make that shorter, they're the same in many ways and a tuned A3 should do just as well as a tuned GTI and you shouldn't have an issue finding parts for your car.

Hope this helps, post photos if you get the ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Don't need a hatch
Don't want a manual
Need/want AWD
--------------------------------
Audi A3

More driver involvement
Get to be part of this awesome forum
Latest ver3 of engine
Carplay/Android Auto
---------------------------------------
VW GTI

jmal2005

Ready to race!
I've got a 15 A3 2.0T convertible and I absolutely love it. The AWD is great when you are using launch control, and even though it is a haldex transmission you can really feel the rear wheels push you into the corner under acceleration. The brake torque vectoring is also really nice. Since I have the convertible there is a bit of flex and body roll at the limit but if you hold the right line it still turns like it is on rails (brake early, accelerate through).

I love the interior quality, audi definitely is one of the best when it comes to interiors, It definitely has a "less is more" feel to it though.

The A3 has a more grown up/luxury feel to it. The GTI is more like an upscale family car.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
Oh right sorry this is an afterthought but the A3 Quattro shares similar parts to the golf R due to the fact that we have the AWD system. So the downpipe and exhaust stuff is routed differently. The rest is pretty much the same though (intake, turbo, etc.)