GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTE is it worth the risk

Biggsbond14

Car(s)
Audi A3 s line
Hi guys I’m interested in a Gte and bit concerned that it may be a bit risky due to a 2017/18 plate having problems with all the things involved with the hybrid side of it and future servicing , I can only drive a automatic due to a foot issue and want to stay away from a 2 litre or a diesel so it’s down to this or a r line , hope anyone can give a bit of advice from experience

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Does it have to be a Golf GTE, or even a Golf? There will be other models within the VW / Audi group with DSG transmission and an engine smaller than 2.0 litres. If you wanted to stay with VW and are prepared to look at the segment below the Golf, there are a models within the current Polo range that offer a DSG option with a 1.0 litre engine (around 110 ps - 115 ps). The current polo isn’t that much smaller than the Golf, so may be worth considering.

The mk7 / mk7.5 Golf was also available with DSG transmission during its life with smaller (than 2.0 litre) engines; e.g. The 2017 model year golf with either the 1.0 litre or 1.4 litre petrol engines was available with DSG. The 1.4 engine was replaced by a 1.5 unit, but there have been reports that that the 1.5 has suffered issues with ‘kangarooing‘ when the engine’s cold, so that might be one to avoid (if you google ‘VW 1.5 EVO engine kangarooing issues’ you’ll find owners across all VAG brands with this engine have reported issues on various forums).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Plenty of small petrol engines (1lt. 1.2lt 1.4lt) in the MK7 Golf have the DSG gearbox..

Personally I'd leave the GTE as its a heavy car for the claimed MPG of the hybrid section...

Biggsbond14

Car(s)
Audi A3 s line
Thanks guys I would consider the polo but it’s the wifes car and she finds the polo not to her taste because of the seats ironically, I’ve got a a3 s line and she loves it even with the firmer ride as the seats are amazing, her choice the golf and I think the r line will suit her better as we both like the extra kit and looks compared to a standard, she is picky and wants heated seats and they are really hard to find ironically

mgregoryc

I second golfdave's point on the GTE.

I am really keen on electric/hybrid, but the GTE is much heavier due to the batteries, so if you do not charge it before every journey (or plan to do long-distance journeys) you will be pulling more weight with a smaller engine, so it will actually be less efficient than even a GTI.

Also the ride quality and boot space suffer significantly as the chassis has only been adapted for the hybrid powertrain, rather than being engineered for it from the ground up.

However, if you do short journeys (<20 miles) and always charge it, you will get an enjoyable amount of performance with a lot of clean-conscience electric waft.