GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf airbags US vs EU version

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
From the popular US vs EU series :), today we are looking at airbags. I'd like to replace some airbags on my US model Golf with locally available EU parts, specifically the steering wheel unit. The European part looks the same, but the code is slightly different:

US: 5GM 880 201 A (5GM880201A)
EU: 5G0 880 201 A (5G0880201A) - image below

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the two, or are they 100% equivalent ?

Attachments

• airbag.jpg
    airbag.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
No idea, but might be related to local regulations in terms of propellant, force etc..

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I have the same question... did you ever find out if they’re interchangeable?
Apparently yes they are, I bought a new EU version and it fits alright. Haven't got the chance to test it yet :)
I'm not sure about the airbag computer, that has to be (re)programed and mine still has an error, but that's probably due to the new seatbelts :)

Zabe20

Apparently yes they are, I bought a new EU version and it fits alright. Haven't got the chance to test it yet :)
I'm not sure about the airbag computer, that has to be (re)programed and mine still has an error, but that's probably due to the new seatbelts :)

thanks!please keep me posted if you can. I have a terrible rattle inside my airbag that dealership wants $1200 to fix and they would replace airbag out of warranty. I see many more EU versions available for a decent price. Thanks!

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I could find a new airbag on the greyish market for ~200 EUR (recovered units could be bought a bit cheaper). I was advised to also get a new airbag cable (the short one handling the large current at the time of deployment). If I get the airbag computer reprogramed and the fault codes go away I'll post here, unless I forget about it :)

Last edited: