GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 7 TSI 1.8 reliability

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
It's usually the housing that's leaking.
That's what I read too and why I think it can be fixed if the inside parts are working. My mechanics will dissasemble it next week and have a closer look.

Anyway I'm still curious about the US price, 500$ seems nuts...

Cheesydieper

Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI S
Can a leaking thermostat be repaired ? It looks like mine is leaking too. How much is a thermostat going for in the US (without the water pump) ?
If either your waterpump or thermostat is leaking it is advisable to replace both to avoid another problem. On my VW dealership the waterpump/thermostat replacement cost $1200 parts and labor

red450

Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf TSI SE
My buddy is a tech at a Euro Specialty shop in my area and one of the regulars they see monthly has a 2016 Jetta 1.8TSI that he bought new. He uses it for Uber and, I’m not joking, just ticked over 200,000 Miles. He is religious about oil changes and I believe has done plugs a few times but otherwise it’s bone stock, auto, and has had ZERO issues. Never had a carbon clean, and has done no unplanned repairs or maintenance. VAG has had a lot of time to perfect the 1.8/2.0 based direct Injection motors and I feel they have finally produced a very reliable and mostly trouble free platform. God knows how utterly terrible the early Audi and VW 2.0Ts were, with several potential major issues, carbon buildup, oil consumption, camshaft issues, etc...I don’t worry one bit about pushing my car hard every day.

I bought a 2016 Golf TSI about 3 weeks ago, I'm loving it, and reading this makes me feel better!