GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.5 TSI 130 or 150?

Judesman

Ready to race!
Has anyone experience of driving these two models for long enough to ascertain whether there is a significant difference in power between the two. I find the 130 unresponsive and nothing like my old 1.4 TSI. I wonder if the 150 is any better. Any thoughts please?

Judesman

Ready to race!
Thank you. My 130 is sluggish and I am forever changing gear on country roads, nothing like my 1.4. Other 130 owners might not agree but I haven't been able to find a review that compares the two engines.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Thank you. My 130 is sluggish and I am forever changing gear on country roads, nothing like my 1.4. Other 130 owners might not agree but I haven't been able to find a review that compares the two engines.
Pop in a dealer ship and say your thinking about upgrading to the 150 and get a test drive, at least then u will know for sure.

Judesman

Ready to race!
I will do that but really these cars really need to be driven over an extended mileage. If anyone is aware of a web site review of both models I would be interested. I can find plenty of reviews but no comparisons of both engines. Many thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't know the exact spec of the 1.5lt EVO....

But in the old 122/140..or 125/150 in the 1.4lt engines...the difference was the lower powered one only had one camshaft as variable.....the higher powered one (140/150PS) had both camshafts as variable & a forged crankshaft...also the turbo is slightly bigger & runs a slightly higher boost..

I run mine on super unleaded only...& have used this in all my cars since about 2002....makes a difference....my car makes at least 167bhp...without a tune!

Last edited:

Judesman

Ready to race!
Thanks Golfdave. I don't know too much about the technicals apart from the published details but I have, for many years, run my Golfs on Shell V Power Nitro, 99 Octane. I know I get a better MPG. I miss my old 1.4 TSI.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks Golfdave. I don't know too much about the technicals apart from the published details but I have, for many years, run my Golfs on Shell V Power Nitro, 99 Octane. I know I get a better MPG. I miss my old 1.4 TSI.

The other advantage is the 140/150 (1.4lt or 1.5lt) are GT/R-Line spec only & those have the multi-link rear suspension...where as the 122/125/130 have twist beam rear...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The other advantage is the 140/150 (1.4lt or 1.5lt) are GT/R-Line spec only & those have the multi-link rear suspension...where as the 122/125/130 have twist beam rear...

I got that wrong!!...:(

1.4lt (122PS & upwards) in MK7 Golf got the multilink rear suspension.....

I got confused with the MK3 Octavia which only the AWD, or VRS, or the 1.8lt L&K got the multilink rear!...& the Octavia is a bigger car by 4inches in length!

VAG & their stupid dumbing down of certain brands...

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I purchased a 1.5 Evo last year 2018. It was comfortable and quick though engine was quite harsh from 4000 rpm. I had come from a MK7 GTI. The noise was so bad I returned it to the dealer after 1 month due to the irritating whining noise from rear. In that 1 month of ownership I had even changed tyres in belief they were the cause of the noise. Even the master tech and dealer MD tested the car and agreed it was noisy and suggested a wheel bearing was at fault. They changed what they thought was the culprit but that did nothing. Damned awful noise from what is supposed to be a quality model. I would have kept the car if the noise was not so bad as it was quick enough for an oldie, comfortable and economical. When a MK7 is compared with a Mk7.5, the MK7 in my view is the quieter car all round. The dealer swapped the car for a MK7.5 GTI which is far better but still not as quiet as my old MK7 GTI. My advice to anyone considering buying a golf is don't buy unless you can have a 48-hour test drive.
www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
I purchased a 1.5 Evo last year 2018. It was comfortable and quick though engine was quite harsh from 4000 rpm. I had come from a MK7 GTI. The noise was so bad I returned it to the dealer after 1 month due to the irritating whining noise from rear. In that 1 month of ownership I had even changed tyres in belief they were the cause of the noise. Even the master tech and dealer MD tested the car and agreed it was noisy and suggested a wheel bearing was at fault. They changed what they thought was the culprit but that did nothing. Damned awful noise from what is supposed to be a quality model. I would have kept the car if the noise was not so bad as it was quick enough for an oldie, comfortable and economical. When a MK7 is compared with a Mk7.5, the MK7 in my view is the quieter car all round. The dealer swapped the car for a MK7.5 GTI which is far better but still not as quiet as my old MK7 GTI. My advice to anyone considering buying a golf is don't buy unless you can have a 48-hour test drive.
www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk
Was your car a 150 or 130. Dsg or manual

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk
Cost cutting measures throughout a car’s lifecycle seems to be the norm - usually in areas that won’t be noticed by the customer.

The mk7 Golf has had small cost saving ‘tweaks’ throughout its life - presumably in an effort to help VW control costs and maintain profit margins. Mostly little things that don’t represent much of a cost saving per vehicle, but when you consider the many thousands or millions of Golfs built worldwide, the overall savings will be very worthwhile to VW.

The following cost cutting measures on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf have been discussed on various forums;
- deletion of the plastic covers on the Isofix child seat fixing points on the rear seat.
- deletion of the plastic hinge cover on the rear seat backrest hinge in the luggage compartment.
- deletion of the plastic cover from the door mirror fixing screws/bolts.
- removal of the button on the B pillar to deactivate the car’s interior motion sensor.
- both or one of the under seat storage drawers deleted on some models.
- the soft lidded battery cover in the engine compartment no longer fitted.
- deletion of multi port injection from the 2.0 litre EA888 engine.
- possibly poorer quality or less interior sound insulation fitted, resulting in noisier cabins.

For someone buying their first mk7 / mk7.5 Golf, they won’t be aware of any of the above, but a repeat customer is likely to notice at least some of these cost cutting measures.

Judesman

Ready to race!
Fuelboss, could I repeat the request please: 150 or 130, manual or DSG. I have a 130 but haven't had any noise issues.

Anyone know of 130 and 150 comparison reviews please?

SRGTD, the missing battery cover is the most obvious saving. The rot set in when they removed the pen from the user manual wallet!

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Fuelboss, could I repeat the request please: 150 or 130, manual or DSG. I have a 130 but haven't had any noise issues.

Anyone know of 130 and 150 comparison reviews please?

SRGTD, the missing battery cover is the most obvious saving. The rot set in when they removed the pen from the user manual wallet!
I only have experience with the 150 and I am sure that must have a big advantage in terms of performance over the smaller engine. As I previously wrote, I was very impressed with the responsiveness of the 150 was and would have had no hesitation in keeping the car had it not been for the interior noise that certainly appeared to all that it was originating from the rear. Though I was coming from a GTI I was not disappointed in the performance of the 150 at all, in fact I was pleasantly surprised. For me definitely DSG every time. Out of interest is your 130 a MK7 or 7.5?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Out of interest is your 130 a MK7 or 7.5?

The 1.5 EVO engine wasn’t fitted in the mk7 Golf; it was new in the mk7.5 (it replaced the 1.4 in the mk7).