GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going WOT with ESC on: is this normal?

nelw

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys

So I've got almost 10,000 km on the odo and have had the Eurodyne stage 1.5 tune on it for a few thousand kms already with no problems. Otherwise car is stock everything.

When I accelerate hard from a stop (or even a slow roll) with traction control on, the front tires feel like they are hitting pot holes. I mean they aren't hitting pot holes but the power will suddenly cut in and out and it feels like the suspension is bottoming out. Is this wheel hop?

Because with ESC turned off (I believe in Canada we can fully turn ours off) the wheels just spin.

Why the hell would VW put in such a crazy traction control that feels like it's ripping the car apart?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you have wheel hop. It's not the traction control that does that.... it's your tires, engine mounts and suspension that are to blame. The car is built with soft rubber engine mounts that flex under load and slingshots your engine back and forth, it comes with crappy tires that skip along the pavement as it searches for traction and struts/springs that aren't stiff enough or react fast enough to help dampen that skipping. I have modded all three of those and virtually eliminated all wheel hop with my car.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Hey guys

So I've got almost 10,000 km on the odo and have had the Eurodyne stage 1.5 tune on it for a few thousand kms already with no problems. Otherwise car is stock everything.

When I accelerate hard from a stop (or even a slow roll) with traction control on, the front tires feel like they are hitting pot holes. I mean they aren't hitting pot holes but the power will suddenly cut in and out and it feels like the suspension is bottoming out. Is this wheel hop?

Because with ESC turned off (I believe in Canada we can fully turn ours off) the wheels just spin.

Why the hell would VW put in such a crazy traction control that feels like it's ripping the car apart?

We can only reduce ours. It's only through vcds or Eurodyne coding that we can fully disable it. And also, ESC is what keeps the backend from kicking out by reducing power and applying rear brakes. Your wheelhop has little to do with it. What I think you mean is ASR which is what governs our front wheel slip and applies brakes and/or limits revs when it detects some.

Once I went Stage 2, I never hopped again. The torque arm insert just made things feel nicer.