GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going to wider wheel/tire size

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
Can someone in the know explain to me the benefits of going to a wider wheel/tire combination? I have stock Austin’s and was thinking of going to an 18x8.5 wheel. What would the appropriate tire size be for this size wheel? Thanks

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Can someone in the know explain to me the benefits of going to a wider wheel/tire combination? I have stock Austin’s and was thinking of going to an 18x8.5 wheel. What would the appropriate tire size be for this size wheel? Thanks

235/40 or 245/40 probably. Depending if you're lowered, the offset of the wheels you get, and and even the tire you choose, you may have rubbing on 245s, but I'll defer to someone who has more experience there.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
235-40/18 is nearly flush depending on the tire. I did it because I didn’t want to use spacers and I wanted a more flush with the fender look. Sure, there’s a greater contact patch with the wider tire, but I’m not sure if there’s really a difference worth noting.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Thanks, are you using 18x8.5 wheels?
235 on 18x8.5 has just a hint of stretch to help with a drop. 245 on 18x8.5 is beefy and a straight wall

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Make sure you get a wheel with a 45et. Even with a 45et...with 235's...unless you're either stock or have a very mild lowering...you will rub the front fender. At minimum you will have to do the "fender screw" mod.

Leonardp

Go Kart Newbie
Make sure you get a wheel with a 45et. Even with a 45et...with 235's...unless you're either stock or have a very mild lowering...you will rub the front fender. At minimum you will have to do the "fender screw" mod.
Thanks. I have the H&R sport springs which aren’t too low but certainly lower than stock. I’m not familiar with the “fender screw” mod, is there a thread for that?

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
To answer the benefits of a wider wheel question, the main one would be fitting a wider tire (such as 235 or 245 width) which increases overall grip levels due to the larger contact patch. This will help with straight line grip as well as lateral grip during hard cornering.

With that are also potential draw backs to be aware of:

1) be mindful of wheel weight when purchasing wheels. A Flow Form wheel will likely ensure you stay at or under the stock Austin wheel weight of ~25lbs.
2) wider wheels and tires can affect steering feel, such as the feeling of slightly less quick or heavier steering. This can make the car feel less agile.
3) gas mileage- most of us on this forum don’t care too much about mpg, but wider tires can create more drag and thus slightly impact mpg (notice how a Prius or similar run very narrow wheels and tires).

That all said, I’ll likely be going with 18x8 +45 Neuspeed RSE10 wheels with stock sized tires when my stock Bridgestone wear out.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
I run 18x8.5 and moved up to 235/40 and the car definitely hugs the road more than before when I recently hit the canyons. Also hook a lot better when accelerating. Unless, PSAS4 are just that much better than the AS3+..

Had to do the fender screw mod tho.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run 245/40 17 Bridgestone RE71R'S 17 x 8.5 +45 Neuspeed RSe16's. Lots of grip.
20200618_202154.jpg

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I have 18x8.5" Neuspeed wheels with Michelin PS4S 235/40. Stock ride height, looks and works well. Lots of grip and good off the line, no rubbing. the wider wheels/tires really help the look

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion