GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going GIAC Stage 2 from stock this weekend!

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
After weeks of researching Ive finally made a decision on the Tune. It was between ED, Unitronic, and GIAC. Honestly I believe all these Tunes are great.

Initially ED because of the convenience of flashing yourself and not having to pay for different programs/stages. Greatest Value especially without having to pay for Labor Cost from Dealers.

Unitronic also because of the convenience of flashing programs at home and mainly because of reviews of it being more of a "linear" tuning. Problem is.. I have a 2016 GTI and I dont think I can wait any longer for their tune to become available.

GIAC also because of it being linear vs boost tuning and I guess theyve had really great results with the MK6 and I havent seen enough results for the MK7. It seems that they are the least popular right now for the MK7s and I'm always a sucker for the underdog!

With that being said, I have 3 reviews incoming this weekend.

CTS Downpipe (catlted) with CTS Spacer.
034 Billet Dogbone Insert
GIAC Stage 2

Im really hoping there will be a noticeable difference on my butt dyno and if you have any experience with the above mods, please feel free to share it in this thread. Thanks!

Current Mods:

Exterior

ED's MK7 Headlights with 5500K HIDs
Euroswitch
Thule Aeroblades 53 with 850R FT
Thule Short Roof Adapter
Thule Air Screen 8702
Thule Bike Racks 594xt (2)

Performance

AFE High Flow Filter :rolleyes:

Stay Tuned! Literally.

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
Dude you're going to love it--

Stock to stage 2 is going to catch you by surprise!

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
Dude you're going to love it--

Stock to stage 2 is going to catch you by surprise!

All thanks to you for pushing more people to be GIAC guinea pigs lol..

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
Super guilty as charged. I am definitely looking forward to the outcome.

Do you have a dyno planned?

Qwerty978

Ready to race!

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Better start saving for a clutch haha. Whenever you feel the need to get on it make sure youre in higher rpms.

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
Better start saving for a clutch haha. Whenever you feel the need to get on it make sure youre in higher rpms.

Definitely gotta start saving lol... Im hoping the stock clutch will last me until next year. I plan on having Clutch + LSD done at the same time.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
You won't be needing the spacer for the down pipe when you flash to stage 2. My Ed was throwing a rich to lean cel with the spacer until I removed it. Enjoy and let us know. Giac seems very solid.

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
You won't be needing the spacer for the down pipe when you flash to stage 2. My Ed was throwing a rich to lean cel with the spacer until I removed it. Enjoy and let us know. Giac seems very solid.

After research, stage 2 GIAC doesnt remove CEL. Although APR, ED, and Unitronic does.

I just wanted to be safe just in case I needed to go back to stock tune (temporarily) for some emergency reason with the tool and dont want to go into the hassle of changing my downpipe to remove the cel.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'm super excited you're going GIAC. Definitely tell me how it is.. especially since they just revised it too :D do you have anyone else close to you running a different tune you could run against?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
After research, stage 2 GIAC doesnt remove CEL. Although APR, ED, and Unitronic does.

I just wanted to be safe just in case I needed to go back to stock tune (temporarily) for some emergency reason with the tool and dont want to go into the hassle of changing my downpipe to remove the cel.

They have a test pipe file, you have to ask for it.

six sigma

Passed Driver's Ed

It removed mine...

But you're in for a treat. Love my car even more after stg 2.

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
So...

Due to my schedule and the GIAC dealers availability I ended up getting stage 2 tune without the Downpipe for the time being. I checked with GIAC beforehand to see if that was ok prior to the tune and was told I would be fine as long as play it safe and dont go full throttle until I install my DP (which will be this weekend btw). So I made a self rule for the time being and limited myself to 3500-4k RPMs.

So instead of going into work at 9AM. I decided to flash the car first. I went in to Germans Performance Shop in Boston, MA around 1130. 1230 they finally made contact with GIAC in CA and 145PM I was finally out of there. Made it to work at 230PM. For the 45 mins it took me to get to work, I couldnt tell a difference considering I was traffic the whole time. Which was good anyways... since the ecu probably needed some time to adjust anyways.

But the ride home from work was interesting. Very... Interesting.

"Playing it safe, and not going full throttle" to me meant limiting myself to 3500-4000k RPMs.

Even at these RPM ranges, 2nd and 3rd gear is a BEAST!!! 4th and 5th gear pulls alot harder too. I even notice a much better pull at 6 gear when Im between 70-80 mph. I really dont know how to explain it, but its like my GTI went super saiyan on me lol...

Now its going to be tough for the next 2 days not going full throttle. The Temptation...

Ill be back with another review with the CTS Downpipe installed... but yes the GIAC tune is one hell of a tune.

Im picking up the CTS Downpipe from a fellow member that had ED Stage 2. I may have him test drive my car to see if he can feel any difference between the two Tunes. Oh and Im 93 Octane and Ive always use Shell V-Power Nitro+ if that matters to anybody. And I may end up getting the race program later too to see how that turns out.

Last edited:

Qwerty978

Ready to race!
I'm super excited you're going GIAC. Definitely tell me how it is.. especially since they just revised it too :D do you have anyone else close to you running a different tune you could run against?

I may meet with a group of MK7s (from VWvortex) on the 2nd week of June at New England Drag/Raceway. Maybe Ill get some results then.

I also have a friend that owns an STI so maybe ill get a few runs with him =)