GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

glovebox / stowage compartment

flogR

Ready to race!
In our version of the "R", by getting down low on the front passenger side with the cover to it open, in such a way as to get a crick in your kneck, and peering inward and upward you may notice an horizontal rotatable control on the underside of the media drive (housing for the optical and SD and SIM card drives) at the right end.
Above the control are 3 slots. Feeding coins into the slots can create rattles in the dash. From intense study of my manual I believe the arrangement may be thus: rotation of the control progressively opens or closes vents. I suspect the aforementioned slots are vents for air conditioned air to enter the compartment e.g. for keeping sandwiches cool, drying unmentionables/knickers out of sight etc.
I hope this information helps.

Someone else's turn now .... what are those shallow depressions in the glovebox cover for?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Your version? It's the same as ours. Intense reading of the manual? LOL.

Are you talking about the 4 "depressions" on the inside? Did you try your coins there?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The glove box has various coin slots and SD card slots, the dial you refer to simply covers a hole that allows air to enter, or turn it to close it (covering the hole) it’s as simple as that, no fancy vents, it was the same on the mk6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flogR

Ready to race!
The glove box has various coin slots and SD card slots, the dial you refer to simply covers a hole that allows air to enter, or turn it to close it (covering the hole) it’s as simple as that, no fancy vents, it was the same on the mk6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks heaps. What you have posted is a classic example of owner manuals issues. My book does not have that Fig. 119 illustration or one like it anywhere, so my post was not facetious. Fig.119 in mine is of the Mode button beside the gearshift.
Our (physical) glovebox is similar to the illustration but not identical, even allowing for LH/RH drive. e.g. I have nothing like area (1) in your picture.
I am not going to insert anything anywhere yet for fear of them ending up rattling around behind the dash. When I am released from the Home for the Bewildered on completion of my "intense reading" of MY version of the manual, supposedly for OUR version of the "R", I will attach string to coins and memory cards in order to retrieve if necessary.

flogR

Ready to race!
Your version? It's the same as ours. Intense reading of the manual? LOL.

Are you talking about the 4 "depressions" on the inside? Did you try your coins there?

Yep, thems the ones. Our Aussie dollars fit OK although not very securely, but not my gold sovereigns.
The other area looks the same size as a credit card holder and is very well designed for that. I suppose the type of glasses case with a hook like a pen could be mounted there. A small envelope (if you get my drift) would fit ok but my dear old dad taught me never to trust rubber.

flogR

Ready to race!
I got the wife to poke around in the glovebox while the air conditioner was blowing hard.
The cold air was coming in via a hole hidden immediately behind the control wheel so none of the slots that are visible are vents.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The left bank of four slots are for SD cards. The right bank of two wide slots are for highway toll passes.

The cold A/C blows through a hole in the adjuster knob itself. It works on the same concept as the rotating cap on a spice jar that regulates how much spice can shake out.