GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glovebox Lock Retrofit

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I second the thank you. Will look into it now.
Have you done the swap? I saw a used mk7 vw glovebox lid that comes with the lock/handle and I'm thinking of retrofitting it to my car. Is it possible to take out the existing lock from the handle, re-key it with new wafers?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Have you done the swap? I saw a used mk7 vw glovebox lid that comes with the lock/handle and I'm thinking of retrofitting it to my car. Is it possible to take out the existing lock from the handle, re-key it with new wafers?
Yes this is possible. I've done it.

I only needed two of the three new wafers. Rather than scour the internet for them, I just went to a local locksmith who did it for me for $20.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Yes this is possible. I've done it.

I only needed two of the three new wafers. Rather than scour the internet for them, I just went to a local locksmith who did it for me for $20.
Great. Thanks

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
So I managed to remove the lock/handle piece from the glovebox lid by loosening the screw at the side. How do I remove the lock cylinder from the handle?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
So I managed to remove the lock/handle piece from the glovebox lid by loosening the screw at the side. How do I remove the lock cylinder from the handle?
It was a while ago so my memory's not great, but I think there are three plastic locking clips that grab a groove around the cylinder. You have to pry all three simultaneously without breaking them, and the cylinder slides out the front of the handle. I recall it was pretty harrowing.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
It was a while ago so my memory's not great, but I think there are three plastic locking clips that grab a groove around the cylinder. You have to pry all three simultaneously without breaking them, and the cylinder slides out the front of the handle. I recall it was pretty harrowing.
Oh no....

Here is a close up of it:

https://ibb.co/3MV2SJ3

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
This is tangentially related, but does anyone know of a valet style key that will work for these glovebox locks? I have the key for the glovebox lock, but it's a full size Mk7 key that I don't want to carry around all the time.
1620961895981.png

This is the style of key I'm looking for, but this won't work in the glovebox lock cause it's a valet key, any help would be appreciated.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I'm also trying to figure out the best way to remove the existing glovebox lid. I read VW's repair manual and it said that you can drive out the left and right hinge bolts to remove it. The problem is, they can only be accessed at the back of the glovebox lid (which is difficult when it's on the car). I can see the hinges when the glovebox lid is in service position but there is nothing you can do to slide the bolts out. I don't want to take apart the entire dash just to do that. It's really frustrating.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm also trying to figure out the best way to remove the existing glovebox lid. I read VW's repair manual and it said that you can drive out the left and right hinge bolts to remove it. The problem is, they can only be accessed at the back of the glovebox lid (which is difficult when it's on the car). I can see the hinges when the glovebox lid is in service position but there is nothing you can do to slide the bolts out. I don't want to take apart the entire dash just to do that. It's really frustrating.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I really don't want to have to remove the whole glove box with head unit just to swap out the door for the nice felted one, which I've had sitting in my basement for two years now. I was thinking of using an oscillating saw (like a multi-master tool) to sever the plastic hinge pins in place without removing the whole damn assembly. The pins are impossible to pull out by hand without removing the whole unit, but pushing new ones in might not be as hard.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Anyone out there with an extra #1 wafer you can mail me? I need to replace a #4 and just swap the other two. My local locksmith does not carry them. Thanks

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone out there with an extra #1 wafer you can mail me? I need to replace a #4 and just swap the other two. My local locksmith does not carry them. Thanks
I don't have any spares, but you can leave one of the three wafers out, which wouldn't make a real practical difference.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG