GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glovebox Broke

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I replaced my cabin air filter and heard something break when I re-installed the glove box. Now when I open it, it just falls without any resistance. I think it has something to do with the arm on the right that's attached to some sort of plastic splined gear. Can this be fixed or am I SOL?

Thanks!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Still under warranty? Let the dealer replace it. You don't have to lie to them, but you also don't have to tell them that you just changed the cabin filter either. Opened it one day, no workie.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
It is quite easy for the cog wheel to fall out. This is some info I posted with pics on parts and how to put it together. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/glovebox-woes.330664/#post-6835817

I'll check this out. Thanks!

Still under warranty? Let the dealer replace it. You don't have to lie to them, but you also don't have to tell them that you just changed the cabin filter either. Opened it one day, no workie.

I would but don't want to leave my car at the dealer during these times.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Sounds like what @George Ab said.
That happened to be the first time too.
And again the second time even though I was trying to be careful hah.

I'm pretty clumsy so I'll probably end up breaking it again. Hopefully it's as easy as putting the pieces back together and not having to spend $20 on some small plastic pieces.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I replaced my cabin air filter and heard something break when I re-installed the glove box. Now when I open it, it just falls without any resistance. I think it has something to do with the arm on the right that's attached to some sort of plastic splined gear. Can this be fixed or am I SOL?

Thanks!
You haven't broken anything - the cog is just missing. Find it and put it back.

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
Mine seems to be missing the actual arm that attaches to the glove box door. Its a RHD so is on the LH side of the glove box. Are the assemblies interchangeable between RHD and LHD and also can you just get the arm?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
not sure. i reassembled the arm and the cog but now my glove box just has more resistance when closing and falls slightly slower but still fast enough to be worrisome. if you have the part number for that, would you mind sharing? @SimonIG10

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
I’m going to try getting the full assembly from a scrap car. I am a bit worried that the light might be on permanently by not having the arm present. Do I need to disconnect the switch?