GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glovebox Air Vent Retrofit

enrikito

So I'm lurking through these forums and discovered that my mk7.5 did not come with a feature that came standard with previous model years... the glovebox air vent!

001.jpg

I was bummed, specially in these hot summer days just imagining how nice it would be to have a cold drink in the glovebox... so I figured I would venture and see if it could be done...

I searched around and did not find info or DIYs on this, the good news is that it can be done!

Parts
20 - 5G1816311A Air Hose (For Left Hand Drive)
21 - 5E0816355 Valve
002.jpg

The retrofit is pretty straightforward but it was not easy - It took me about 2.5hrs to complete - I would rate it a 7/10 difficulty level
Also, besides your typical torx bits, you'll need a pair of radio/stereo removal keys and an bit/driver extension to reach a screw at the back of the multimedia main unit.

As any DIY - proceed at your own risk! I will not responsible of any damage or injuries if you have trouble with this DIY guide!

STEP 1 - Open and remove all contents from your glovebox

STEP 2 - Remove glovebox screws

There's 2 at the bottom of the glovebox (white arrows)
Note for later: the inlet for the air hose can be easily reached from here by peeling down the soft cover (green arrow)
006.jpg

There's 3 screws to be removed at the top (white arrows)
You can also drop your glovebox door down by pushing up at the tabs holding the door in place (yellow arrows) for more room to work
004.jpg

Use a trim tool to remove the side panel to expose and remove 1 screw (white arrow)
005.jpg

STEP 3 - Remove the multimedia main unit

This video was very useful for this and next steps

Use a pair of stereo removal keys, just insert them into the slots until they click and pull the unit straight out
Push on the side metal tab to release the keys
008.jpg

Be very careful when removing the unit, there are many cables attached to the back of it
Using a flashlight, locate a single screw at the back of the opening
Removing the last screw was not easy but I was able to reach it with extension bars and without removing any cables from the main unit

STEP 4 - Remove the glovebox

This step was very difficult for me and required quite a bit of pulling and pushing on the glovebox and the trim around it - also wiggling the glovebox with the door closed seemed to help a bit
Remove the side closest to the passenger door first (the one with the single screw)
Slowly pull down and outwards as you make your way towards the center console
As you get closer to the center console you will need to pop open the trim (white arrow) to free the glovebox - I used quite a bit of force but also had to made sure not to break or crack anything
009.jpg

If there's an easier way that you know of - please post it here or send me a link!

STEP 5 - Locate and remove the inlet cap
You can easily reach it from the bottom of the glovebox by pulling down the soft cover (see "Access to Inlet" in Step 2 picture)

STEP 6 - Install Air Hose
Position the hose so that the end with the sharper bend is on the inlet side
Connect the hose to the inlet side, there's a notch on the hose that should align with a tab in the inlet
No special tools needed - just push/wiggle in
003.jpg

STEP 7 - Install Air Valve
Remove the tab at the top of the glovebox for the air valve
No special tools needed - just push up from inside of the glovebox upwards until the tab breaks open
Install the Air Valve from inside of glovebox, it should click in place
010.jpg

STEP 8 - Connect Hose to Air Valve
Connect the hose to the valve side, there's a notch on the hose that should align with a tab in the valve
No special tools needed - just push/wiggle in
011.jpg

STEP 9 - Put everything back together and done!

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Nice work and write-up! I did this last summer too when I found out I didn’t have it. But I made it a lot harder by also removing the whole center console. I think that’s the “official” way to do it if you have a manual handbrake - we get screwed with that piece of trim overlapping the glove box.

If I was going to do it again I would take out all the bolts on the center console, then just slide it back an inch or two instead of completely taking it out. I think that would make it easier on the trim pieces. But again, nice work!

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Anyone know how to drop the glovebox out completely without disassembling the center console? I bought a felted glovebox but never got around to installing it.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone know how to drop the glovebox out completely without disassembling the center console? I bought a felted glovebox but never got around to installing it.

I'm in the same situation! I have a felted glovebox but not the fortitude to swap it out without ripping out the entire center console.

Giannis20vt

Car(s)
GOLF MK7.5 TDI
Hi,

has anyone managed to completely remove the glove box? I have to do the same (remove it) I have some noise (creaking) coming from the back of it.