GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GLI 35th vs MK7.5 GTI

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Both cars were stock. My Jetta is DSG. The GTI was manual. Pulled about 2 cars by 60mph. Not bad considering I'm running Blizzaks right now.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Why would you consider Blizzaks a handicap? Assuming there's a legit reason you have snows on, do you think summer tires would give you better traction this time of year?

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
My Alltrack spins studded Nokians in first two gears. But....when below 35 degrees the Firestone’s will spin as well. Cold conditions suck for traction, it doesn’t help with sand, grit and salt all over the road!!!!

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
sounds like a transmission race. interesting that you were that far ahead by 60mph. Imo blizzaks are really soft as their treadwear sucks (excellent winter tire however) On blizzaks i dont hook until about 70mph (uni s2).

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Update: Car is now APR Stage 1 High Torque ecu/tcu tuned and traction is downright nonexistent till around 60 when wot.

Looking forward to spring to put some extreme summer tires on.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
GTI driver from the original story either has to get much better tires or learn how to launch the car.

You only shift once to get to 60.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
First it starts off with letting the computer shift for you
Next thing you know you're letting other guys fuck your wife for you
Fail because other guy's stick just doesn't work as well.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Love how people correlate Manual transmission's to being manly. I didn't know that was the "standard".

I wouldn't say it's "manly", but it is a skill that increases the versatility and utility of any human. It also mandates more focus on driving, and builds a better understanding of how the vehicle operates.

Those are all incredibly valuable things. I wouldn't say everyone needs to own a manual, but everyone should be required to pass a driving test with one.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't say it's "manly", but it is a skill that increases the versatility and utility of any human. It also mandates more focus on driving, and builds a better understanding of how the vehicle operates.

Those are all incredibly valuable things. I wouldn't say everyone needs to own a manual, but everyone should be required to pass a driving test with one.

Well, most, again, most, true car guys have had a manual car at one time or another, so im fairly certain they know how to drive one. I also had Nintendo, but once the Xbox one came around, i switched, because it was better, faster, and easier to operate. I'd like to apply that analogy to a DSG transmission. I've been banging gears since my Honda and DSM days, and now that there is something more technologically advanced, without the crankwalk risk, and having to upgrade a clutch as soon as you mention the word "tune" to the car, I'm all for it.

My 2C.