GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glasses storage compartment not soft closing

sicario

Car(s)
Golf GT 1.5 TSI DSG
Left the storage compartment in the roof open, and when getting into my car at night I managed to smash my temple against it and knock it out (but luckily not myself).

I’ve managed to clip it back in, but now it’s not soft opening. It’s quite dangerous if you don’t quite close it properly when replacing the sunglasses, as it whams open and sends its contents flying.

There’s two recesses for plastic pins, and a black friction wheel. The wheel turns fine, and has the expected friction, but I can’t figure out why it’s not catching on the insert. It’s definitely in there flush with the recess.

I’m wondering if maybe there’s a second piece, like a gear, that’s come dislodged and is somewhere under a seat? Had a good dig around, but if I know it exists I’ll feel better about spending another 20 minutes in wild positions.

Thanks!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Theres a metal spring that should be there (on the right side theres a notch where it goes). I broke the tab on mine and had to buy a new one. It comes with the entire housing, pretty easy to replace (4 bolts). Theres one that has space for the sunroof buttons and one without.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Me too on this..my head hit it and off it went. I got the spring on but it propels open too fast.. .It seems it's something with gear on the side is not catching but I cannot get it to soft open.

sicario

Car(s)
Golf GT 1.5 TSI DSG
6’ 2”, managed to find the weird spring on a clean today but not the foggiest on how to fit it. Worried I’ll snap the lugs as well if I mess around too much.

It’s in for a service tomorrow so I’ll see if they can do anything. If not I guess I’ll leave it, not sure it’s £60 of annoyance to me yet… we’ll see mid summer when I’m opening it all the time!

sicario

Car(s)
Golf GT 1.5 TSI DSG
No dice, quoted £115 for a new unit.

Will have a mess around at the weekend and see if I can figure it out!

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I got the spring back on..and the door goes back in by popping it in an angle .. but it opens too fast..its like the gear on the side is not catching.

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Was this ever resolved? I went to fix the rattling but now when I put the compartment back same issue. It pops back in fine but the left side gear-a-thingy is not latching on so no longer friction opening and just drops like a cheap a$$ car.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Mine still opens like a cheap a$$ car. Don't use it often and have not looked at what is missing ..I think the gear needs to be out more to slow the door.

scslite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7
Fixed! First it gets a bit hard to see in there since the plastic tension gear is situated up the cavity so getting that area lit up helps. The gear is held on with two locking tabs on each side. The issue was the gear got pushed in and dislodged out of the locking tabs when compartment is pulled out. As you had thought, which is correct, you'll need to pull out the gear enough where the tabs lock back into place. Just use a tiny flat head and carefully pull each side until you hear them click back in. Just take your time and don't use too much force as is needed or you may break the gear completely.

Now here is the other important part. It's key to start, at an angle to put the left (gear) side of the compartment back in first by making sure the left tab goes into the left hole. This will ensure that as you re-install the right side with the spring back in position the tension gear on the left doesn't get pushed back in if done the other way. You have to squeeze quite a bit on to get the right side into place.

Hope this helps...GL!