GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC Mobile Flashloader Problems

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been using a JB4 and at times used other OBD2 type devices to clear codes and what not - so today when I tried using the GIAC mobile flashloader it kept failing during the flash. The crash logs just referenced some type of transfer error. I had the car connected to my wife's truck using jumper cables so there was plenty of power. Per GIAC, the JB4 tends to overly loosen the OBD port making the connection not that tight with the flashloader. Anyone else have issues like this? While I haven't tried to turn the car on, I was told by GIAC it would not start....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Uh oh. Always have a battery charger connected when flashing. Especially when it's 113 degrees like it was today. I would wait until tomorrow morning when everything is cooled off and connect a battery charger and try again.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It puts a drain on the battery while you're flashing something. Starting voltage is irrelevant. Plus if the engine was hot the fan could have kicked in while you were flashing putting a further load on the battery.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
well, ill try it again tomorrow in the morning. at first i used my wifes truck which seemed to keep it over 13, and then i bought a charger which kept it higher too - but now the battery is fully charged so the charger wont even work!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
well, ill try it again tomorrow in the morning. at first i used my wifes truck which seemed to keep it over 13, and then i bought a charger which kept it higher too - but now the battery is fully charged so the charger wont even work!

Battery charger will still work. If the voltage starts to drop while you're flashing it will kick in and maintain the voltage.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I have a JB4 on my car as well as Maestro. I reflash often and have no issues with a loose port.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
At this point I have no idea. i bought an OBD adapter that absolutely secured the GIAC flashloader into the port but it still errors out half way thru the flash.

I really don't think its the battery voltage as that has not been mentioned in the crash log. Admittedly this morning it got the furthest with the flashing at about 65%.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I had a similar issues when trying to flash my DSG back to stock with Ecutek. I had to get with them and send various logs for them to work a fix. It was some sort of software issue/error in my case.

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I think mine was related to it being too hot outside. I'm in AZ, and when I first tried this on Friday it was 112 outside, I had just finished some errands where the car was parked outside, and the flash was denied multiple times. The next morning it was also hot, but I tried anyway and it made it to 62% before failing. Future tries that evening, when it was warmer, made it to around 20%. So today I woke up at 4:30am, opened my garage door, let the breeze in, and it flashed 100% on the first time. The temp was around 75. Maybe the ECU was overheating during the flash? I have no idea what else it could be...