GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting New Rims! Need Suggestions!

HustonMK7

Hello there folks! This is my first post!

I'm Charles and I've just bought my mk7 Autobahn DSG after my lease finished. I love this car but I've been a bit cruel to my OEM 18inch Austin's that came with it and im looking to replace to get rid of that stock look (now that it's mine ☺)

I've already got a set of winter Blizzaks that are on some Black SportA7 17inch rims and they look rad, but I'm looking to get a new set of all seasons for my summer set.

First thing is color,

The black looks great but my my I've already got my winter set as that and I'd like to get something different. I saw a set of dark grey or "titanium" rims that looks absolutely wicked so I'm leaning more towards those, but open to anything.

I've been checking out tirerack and their simulation thing is great, but looking to see if anyone has any preferences. I'm not planning on doing any track days but will probably get a stage one and exhaust at some point so weight really isn't a factor.

What are some looks that you are all into?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Price limit of $200 a wheel.
Thanks for your thoughts! Here it is with the snow tires on(it was early spring) Screenshot_20191113-004656.png
Screenshot_20191113-004656.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You going for looks, weight or both? If looks only, rotiform are awesome, but heavy as crap. Konig, fast, bbs... Great choices

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
imo konig is ftw, they look good, they are lightweight, and cheap. if you dont care about weight then there is a million options but for a performance car, im gonna get konig hypergram or dekagram in the summer

HustonMK7

Thanks for the info, and SWCROW im looking for a little of both. It seems that the konigs are right in my area. Ill take a look and some of the other ones mentioned by bk as well though. You guys are awesome thanks for of your suggestions.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
If you can stretch the budget a tiny bit, some Neuspeed wheels occasionally go on sale for close to $200 a wheel. They're very high quality, come in offsets that will get you nearly flush, reuse the factory bolts and bolt covers and don't need hub rings. They're also universally lighter than the factory wheels.

Also, if you already have winter tires, strongly consider summer instead of all seasons for your new set.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just ordered some 18x9 Konig Rennform. They're less than 19lbs. $205/wheel. To get the same weight in Neuspeed, you're looking at rse11R at $389.

I know OP wouldn't want this size for winter tires, but point is that Konig's are one of the best performance/cost values

HustonMK7

I've got the black sport A7 for my for winter. My summers are still stocks which is what I'm looking to upgrade. The Konigs do sound a little less expensive but those neuspeeds are wicked! You guys are making this hard ??

Last edited:

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Just so you are clear with the terminology, rim is the round hoop, spokes are the part that connect the center or hub. So it is a three part assembly, the rim, the center and the spokes. With some wheels they are purchased by specifying each of these three components. So when you say "new rims" some people may think you are building a set of wheels or replacing a damaged rim.
Lightweight and cheap? Motegi Traklite is really the best deal going, well under 200, extremely well built. Next up for me is Enkei. If you step up to a 300 per wheel budget there are many more options. Look at Advanti Storm as wheel, good luck.

HustonMK7

Just so you are clear with the terminology, rim is the round hoop, spokes are the part that connect the center or hub. So it is a three part assembly, the rim, the center and the spokes. With some wheels they are purchased by specifying each of these three components. So when you say "new rims" some people may think you are building a set of wheels or replacing a damaged rim.
Lightweight and cheap? Motegi Traklite is really the best deal going, well under 200, extremely well built. Next up for me is Enkei. If you step up to a 300 per wheel budget there are many more options. Look at Advanti Storm as wheel, good luck.

Thanks for the information. I guess I never really put that much thought into it, rims to me were always just wheels. But I guess when you repair a wheel, or what I was calling a "rim", your only repairing the rim around the outside of the "wheel" from curb rash etc
Derp.
Thanks for clarifying this and my apologies to anyone whom I may have confused.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

I agree on the Motegis and that's what I have.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
I’ve been running Konig’s for the past 2 years. Very solid wheel for the price.