GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
It will have to wait...tape measure walked away.

BTW, the KW H.A.S. height adjustment collar setting is 6 turns out from max low on the front and 3 turns out on the rear. So it appears you can go super low with the KW spring kit.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just looked at mine. My LCA's are slightly higher than level. Hmmmmmmm. These things have less travel than I thought and APR is absolutely FOS about their springs only lowering the car .5 to .75 inches.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
How much can a GTI I be lowered before the LCA are level? I haven't really looked at it, but I assume it's more than 1.5in. It sounds like you're talking about the morons that lay the car on the rails and I don't really think that's what we're discussing here. We're discussing functional camber on a functional suspension being used to drive fast. I assume you were talking about extremes, which are outside this conversation, unless these things really don't have any travel before the arms are level.
I would guess about an inch for the GTI makes the LCA level. My ride height at 14 1/8” gives me about a half inch of difference between the subframe attachment and a guesstimated center of the ball joint ball.
A friend with 034 dynamic springs had upward sloping lcas (gone past horizontal.
then there's roll to consider...
obviously it's best to measure yourself.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have to say I was skeptical about there being much wiggle room to get more negative camber, I won't know until I hit the rack again, but there's about 1/8 in on top and even more at the ball joint on the bottom. I don't doubt it's -2.4.

Thanks SLC4EVER. I wish I'd done this when I was in GS, but I just didn't think there was anything there.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Here's the top adjustment:

20190519_182259.jpg

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Ya'll have to cut the perch with the 034/SuperPro strut mounts? Even though you don't have to adjust it?

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Ya'll have to cut the perch with the 034/SuperPro strut mounts? Even though you don't have to adjust it?

Makes it much easier to retighten the strut nut, otherwise you have to drop the strut to do so. And since 034 plates loosen over time, this is something that has to occur many, many times.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks SLC4EVER. I wish I'd done this when I was in GS, but I just didn't think there was anything there.

No problem. It's something I've been doing to all my VW's over the years (I'm old AF) and it's just become habit. When you tinker a lot you find ways to do so without making multiple trips to the alignment shop. Lifetime alignments like you have are a great alternative.

For sure there definitely isn't as much as older cars but as you can see there's enough to make a difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No problem. It's something I've been doing to all my VW's over the years (I'm old AF) and it's just become habit. When you tinker a lot you find ways to do so without making multiple trips to the alignment shop. Lifetime alignments like you have are a great alternative.

For sure there definitely isn't as much as older cars but as you can see there's enough to make a difference.

I always tip the tech, even with lifetime alignment. Don't want to abuse that poor guy. I'm working up to asking them to allow me to be in the drivers seat while they do the alignment. lol

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Anyone else running the Euro Sport kit able to share how much neg camber they were able to achieve in the front? I'm at -2.1 with the SuperPro's now on VWR springs, which I want to ditch.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anyone else running the Euro Sport kit able to share how much neg camber they were able to achieve in the front? I'm at -2.1 with the SuperPro's now on VWR springs, which I want to ditch.

I'm on Eurosports kit and APR springs and I'm at -2.4, that was with maximizing neg camber at the LCA/ball joint and strut top. I'm going to slot the holes at the top to try to get to -3. I wouldn't use both the camber kit and SuperPro LCA's, you'd end up with crazy caster.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I'm on Eurosports kit and APR springs and I'm at -2.4, that was with maximizing neg camber at the LCA/ball joint and strut top. I'm going to slot the holes at the top to try to get to -3. I wouldn't use both the camber kit and SuperPro LCA's, you'd end up with crazy caster.
Did the APR springs drop more than the advertised 3/4"? I'm thinking I'll try the inserts and if I want more I can pony up some dollars for the CSS knuckles. What's involved to increase negative camber at the control arm?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did the APR springs drop more than the advertised 3/4"? I'm thinking I'll try the inserts and if I want more I can pony up some dollars for the CSS knuckles. What's involved to increase negative camber at the control arm?

Yes, they're 1.1" on a manual GTI.

Top hat bolts and the LCA bolts all have some play. My LCA's had a lot of play. You just loosen, max negative camber, and tighten the bolts back. It'll take minutes to do both sides.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Powerflex also makes front LCA bushings to get additional camber.