GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll do that, thanks. Do you really think .4 with just that wiggle room?

Hard to say how much with every car but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility there's that much slop.
With my subframe centered, both L/R ball joints pulled out, and strut bearings push in that's where my car is at.

One more thing, I didn't cut the bump stops and I'm trying to decide whether to do so or not. I usually would, but I've read a lot of conflicting opinions with the mk7.

I don't really care about shock life, I'm eventually doing coils, but I'm thinking more travel before hitting bump stops would be better for handling.

I don't think it's going to make enough of a difference to bother since you're just on lowering springs. Can you get to them with everything assembled and just cut them off?
The KW H.A.S. kit comes with redesigned bump stops. Not that it matters since it sounds like you're going the coilover route. Just thought I'd mention it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think I'll be able to cut them on the car, but I'll have to be creative and use some line to do the fronts.

I'll play around and see how much more neg camber there is in the play. Maybe slightly slot the top holes.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll play around and see how much more neg camber there is in the play. Maybe slightly slot the top holes.

Not sure I would do that. The bolt isn't an overly large flange bolt. I'd want to keep as much surface contact as possible so it doesn't slip out of spec. Not saying that it will, just a concern. Plus you risk not making L/R symmetrical. So then you have to make other adjustments. Leaving the holes as is you can just push the strut bearing inward and forget it. So theoretically (after an alignment) you can remove the entire strut assembly and reinstall without affecting the alignment.

Last edited:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not all that low (MSS), but 034 plates give me -2.6 ish. Do you have an alignment sheet? I can't see how much you push the BJ in because there really isn't any slop there. This is with a front deadset kit too.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not all that low (MSS), but 034 plates give me -2.6 ish. Do you have an alignment sheet? I can't see how much you push the BJ in because there really isn't any slop there. This is with a front deadset kit too.

Here ya go...

Lumii_20200113_101101892.jpg

Here's a picture of ride height. Also notice camber in front is visibly more than the rear. Although this picture was taken before the current alignment specs, but right after installing everything.

1N3A3884.jpg
1N3A3859.jpg

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I installed H&R OE Sport springs and the Superpro fixed camber mounts on Saturday. So far I only get noise when going over bumps but I don’t think its from the mounts because the noise is from both the front and rear.

There were some complaints about noise from the mounts so Superpro added a pack of grease to apply on the exposed blue poly isolator on the underside of the mount. The included instructions weren’t clear so we had to email Superpro for the latest instructions.
2AA9BD78-361E-4AEA-91E1-505D22D05986.png

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Apparently she has to stay well lubed! Use your finger to spread the lube all along the sides. Make sure you get enough lube deep inside as well, they gave you the whole packet...use it!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Apparently she has to stay well lubed! Use your finger to spread the lube all along the sides. Make sure you get enough lube deep inside as well, they gave you the whole packet...use it!

Give it to that dirt suspension.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Do you have the camber curve? I'm not sure that's true.

Yes, until the LCA is level.
not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing, but it would seem to me that once the LCA is level, the ball joint is then at the furthest point from the car and static camber is maximized wrt lowering. Go lower than that, the distance begins to decrease. Lateral force w/roll would have similar effects. An LCA that slopes downward when static may have a beneficial camber curve.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing, but it would seem to me that once the LCA is level, the ball joint is then at the furthest point from the car and static camber is maximized wrt lowering. Go lower than that, the distance begins to decrease. Lateral force w/roll would have similar effects. An LCA that slopes downward when static may have a beneficial camber curve.

How much can a GTI I be lowered before the LCA are level? I haven't really looked at it, but I assume it's more than 1.5in. It sounds like you're talking about the morons that lay the car on the rails and I don't really think that's what we're discussing here. We're discussing functional camber on a functional suspension being used to drive fast. I assume you were talking about extremes, which are outside this conversation, unless these things really don't have any travel before the arms are level.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I looks like you're a little lower than I am. I'm right at 1.1" drop. Very interesting that you got that much negative camber. I'm not sure how much is slop and how much is the ride height that's making the difference. You've got .3 to .4 more caster than I do also, so I'm guessing it's height. Can you look at your LCA and see how much more until they're level? If they're close to level, I may have to add a FSB.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

Mother

Go Kart Newbie
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
I've done nothing but read about springs for the last week. Don't get the US version of the Eibach springs. If you can get the European version, go for it.

Your advice is sound for a GTI. For a Golf R the Eibach US springs are linear.

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
I looks like you're a little lower than I am. I'm right at 1.1" drop. Very interesting that you got that much negative camber. I'm not sure how much is slop and how much is the ride height that's making the difference. You've got .3 to .4 more caster than I do also, so I'm guessing it's height. Can you look at your LCA and see how much more until they're level? If they're close to level, I may have to add a FSB.

Fender to ground looks to be 25.50" front and 25.87" rear. I'm running a 235/35-19 on a 19x9.5.

LCA is slightly below level.

20200116_124849_HDR.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Measure center of wheel to fender. I run a tire with 24.7" diameter, so I can't compare directly to your fender to ground.