GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Looking to make tires last longer in autocross without hurting the daily drivability of the car. Using stock golf R suspension (DCC), no plans to get coilovers any time soon.

Specifically looking at:
Strut mounts:
Superpro strut tower mounts (-1.4deg) https://superpro.com.au/find/superp...4motion-/productnr-TRC5000/cid-999501495/vid-
034 Dynamic camber Kit (-1.4deg): https://store.034motorsport.com/dyn...8v5-8v-8s-audi-a3-s3-rs3-tt-tts-ttrs-mqb.html
Eurosport Street camber Kit (-0.8deg) https://www.eurosportacc.com/products/18700k

Other options:
Clubsport S Knuckles (-1?)
Superpro ALOY0018K lower control arm (-0.5deg, 1deg caster) https://superpro.com.au/find/superp...otion-/productnr-ALOY0018K/cid-999501495/vid-

I've heard some complaints that the 034 dynamic camber mounts can lead to a fair amount of noise... am I correct there? Is that still present on the less adjustable kits like the above? Am I missing any options?

Staying away from the clubsport s knuckles because technically that'd kick me into street mod class in autocross... not that it really matters, but still, would rather not be last place all the time! for anybody not concerned about that, these are certainly the best "no compromise" option, but they do come at a premium. I'm leaning towards the Superpro LCAs, they seem like the least likely to cause major NVH issues. Or just run the clubsport S knuckles and not tell anybody about it, since I'm not building this car out as a class-killer and I'm never going to nats anyway!

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’m using SuperPro LCA’s in combination with the SuperPro strut tops. Got -2 camber up front with this combination. Daily driven and zero nvh impact. My front tires were just fine after a day at Sebring on the outer tread area. The inner tread also isn’t wearing excessively from daily driving. Makes for a nice compromise setup.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have Superpro LCA, great improvement in caster but if camber is what you really want go with Superpro top mount. Great improvement there. The combination along with a good tire is remarkable on my Alltrack

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Heh, just realized the superpro LCAs have what could be considered a ball bushing... which I believe would also disqualify them for autox use without bumping me yet another class. what a pain in the ass!

Last edited:

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
LCA easier swap. The upper mounts are almost half the price. I did both at the same time ....one alignment! Both really is the way to go

Stupid autocross rules again... Can only do one OR the other. Not that I'm going to light the world on fire with a low torque 91 octane tune and OEM suspension when I could be stg2, coilovers, etc , but it would really suck to be pushed into the r-comp tire classes and be 5-10 seconds behind!

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I’d go for the camber myself, but I don’t track my car. It’s for my own driving fun so I put whatever I want on it. I get the allure of track time, did it years ago with a new 85 GTI, I thought it was SO fast!! Have fun!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Audi ttrs control arms take me to -3, with ball joints fully extended. Around -2.5 when not extended. They also widen front track so you might research your tire fitment.

I autocross them, with Vorshlag platess as well, which gets me to ~ -5 up front.

It's a big improvement...but, you go faster and in my case, I still wear my outside edges. More spring has helped with that but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Audi ttrs control arms take me to -3, with ball joints fully extended. Around -2.5 when not extended. They also widen front track so you might research your tire fitment.

I autocross them, with Vorshlag platess as well, which gets me to ~ -5 up front.

It's a big improvement...but, you go faster and in my case, I still wear my outside edges. More spring has helped with that but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.
-5 is too much dude. -2.5 is the sweet spot. Have you upgraded your sway bars? I'd do that if you're wearing the outer edge at -5.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
-5 is too much dude. -2.5 is the sweet spot. Have you upgraded your sway bars? I'd do that if you're wearing the outer edge at -5.

hey dude. it all depends. We’re in a class that limits tire width to 205. No LSD allowed. My sweet spot is respect to spring rates, not camber. If we can find a spring rate that allows us to back off of front camber, we will.

GSW front bar, PP GTI rear bar...but, there are other ways to limit roll besides bars and I'm avoiding bigger bars given no LSD. Long term, I hope to eventually disconnect the bars, at least the front one. Instead of bigger bara, we tune our spring rates.with spring rubbers, poly bump stop packing and bump springs.

Car is very competitive, currently leads its class. Gives much more expensive hardware a run for the money. A total hoot to drive.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie

At -5 I'm surprised tires last at all
That's way too much camber. Impressed you're not rubbing on the springs at that.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
well to be clear I don't run -5 on the street.
beyond that, if you don't have my setup, you really have no idea

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I have SuperPro mounts and arms with Eibach springs and a deadset kit. I’d choose the mounts if I could only do one and swap out the arm bushings.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
With more neg camber up front (and more grip), do Golf R driver's go with a less aggressive rear sway bar? Like a 22mm instead of a 25mm.
Picture of the Whiteline
6467B8A5-2078-478D-8385-0D7EF9B2ECF7_1_201_a.jpeg

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
With more neg camber up front (and more grip), do Golf R driver's go with a less aggressive rear sway bar? Like a 22mm instead of a 25mm.
Picture of the Whiteline
View attachment 162481

I have a Neuspeed rear bar as well on my Golf R, 25mm seems fine.