GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Getting more camber with a minimum of impact on NVH?

jmblur

Ready to race!
Ride
2017 Golf R
Looking to make tires last longer in autocross without hurting the daily drivability of the car. Using stock golf R suspension (DCC), no plans to get coilovers any time soon.

Specifically looking at:
Strut mounts:
Superpro strut tower mounts (-1.4deg) https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-strut-mount-kit-for-a-superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-vw-golf-2012-on-mk-7-typ-5g-4motion-/productnr-TRC5000/cid-999501495/vid-
034 Dynamic camber Kit (-1.4deg): https://store.034motorsport.com/dynamic-camber-increasing-strut-mount-pair-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v5-8v-8s-audi-a3-s3-rs3-tt-tts-ttrs-mqb.html
Eurosport Street camber Kit (-0.8deg) https://www.eurosportacc.com/products/18700k

Other options:
Clubsport S Knuckles (-1?)
Superpro ALOY0018K lower control arm (-0.5deg, 1deg caster) https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-alloy-arm-kit-for-a-superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-vw-golf-2012-on-mk-7-typ-5g-4motion-/productnr-ALOY0018K/cid-999501495/vid-

I've heard some complaints that the 034 dynamic camber mounts can lead to a fair amount of noise... am I correct there? Is that still present on the less adjustable kits like the above? Am I missing any options?

Staying away from the clubsport s knuckles because technically that'd kick me into street mod class in autocross... not that it really matters, but still, would rather not be last place all the time! for anybody not concerned about that, these are certainly the best "no compromise" option, but they do come at a premium. I'm leaning towards the Superpro LCAs, they seem like the least likely to cause major NVH issues. Or just run the clubsport S knuckles and not tell anybody about it, since I'm not building this car out as a class-killer and I'm never going to nats anyway!

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m using SuperPro LCA’s in combination with the SuperPro strut tops. Got -2 camber up front with this combination. Daily driven and zero nvh impact. My front tires were just fine after a day at Sebring on the outer tread area. The inner tread also isn’t wearing excessively from daily driving. Makes for a nice compromise setup.

Sumfuncomet

Ready to race!
I have Superpro LCA, great improvement in caster but if camber is what you really want go with Superpro top mount. Great improvement there. The combination along with a good tire is remarkable on my Alltrack

jmblur

Ready to race!
Ride
2017 Golf R
Heh, just realized the superpro LCAs have what could be considered a ball bushing... which I believe would also disqualify them for autox use without bumping me yet another class. what a pain in the ass!

Last edited:

jmblur

Ready to race!
Ride
2017 Golf R
LCA easier swap. The upper mounts are almost half the price. I did both at the same time ....one alignment! Both really is the way to go
Stupid autocross rules again... Can only do one OR the other. Not that I'm going to light the world on fire with a low torque 91 octane tune and OEM suspension when I could be stg2, coilovers, etc , but it would really suck to be pushed into the r-comp tire classes and be 5-10 seconds behind!

Sumfuncomet

Ready to race!
I’d go for the camber myself, but I don’t track my car. It’s for my own driving fun so I put whatever I want on it. I get the allure of track time, did it years ago with a new 85 GTI, I thought it was SO fast!! Have fun!

odessa.filez

Ready to race!
Audi ttrs control arms take me to -3, with ball joints fully extended. Around -2.5 when not extended. They also widen front track so you might research your tire fitment.

I autocross them, with Vorshlag platess as well, which gets me to ~ -5 up front.

It's a big improvement...but, you go faster and in my case, I still wear my outside edges. More spring has helped with that but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

jay745

track sl00t
Ride
2 vw's
Audi ttrs control arms take me to -3, with ball joints fully extended. Around -2.5 when not extended. They also widen front track so you might research your tire fitment.

I autocross them, with Vorshlag platess as well, which gets me to ~ -5 up front.

It's a big improvement...but, you go faster and in my case, I still wear my outside edges. More spring has helped with that but I haven't found the sweet spot yet.
-5 is too much dude. -2.5 is the sweet spot. Have you upgraded your sway bars? I'd do that if you're wearing the outer edge at -5.

odessa.filez

Ready to race!
-5 is too much dude. -2.5 is the sweet spot. Have you upgraded your sway bars? I'd do that if you're wearing the outer edge at -5.
hey dude. it all depends. We’re in a class that limits tire width to 205. No LSD allowed. My sweet spot is respect to spring rates, not camber. If we can find a spring rate that allows us to back off of front camber, we will.

GSW front bar, PP GTI rear bar...but, there are other ways to limit roll besides bars and I'm avoiding bigger bars given no LSD. Long term, I hope to eventually disconnect the bars, at least the front one. Instead of bigger bara, we tune our spring rates.with spring rubbers, poly bump stop packing and bump springs.

Car is very competitive, currently leads its class. Gives much more expensive hardware a run for the money. A total hoot to drive.

Crild

Go Kart Champion

At -5 I'm surprised tires last at all
That's way too much camber. Impressed you're not rubbing on the springs at that.

GolfRRRR1

Ready to race!
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
With more neg camber up front (and more grip), do Golf R driver's go with a less aggressive rear sway bar? Like a 22mm instead of a 25mm.
Picture of the Whiteline
6467B8A5-2078-478D-8385-0D7EF9B2ECF7_1_201_a.jpeg

777-300ER

Ready to race!
Stupid autocross rules again... Can only do one OR the other. Not that I'm going to light the world on fire with a low torque 91 octane tune and OEM suspension when I could be stg2, coilovers, etc , but it would really suck to be pushed into the r-comp tire classes and be 5-10 seconds behind!
What class are you running? I thought a flash of any type bumps you out of street?

777-300ER

Ready to race!
STU. Boost changes used to bump you up to prepared but don't anymore.

Granted, I'm 91 low torque Stg1 so I'm not going to set the world on fire (stg2 is allowed).
Re read the rules, you are correct. You could probably run a camber plate and CSS knuckles. As it states in 14.8.H.2:
"On arm-and-strut (MacPherson/Chapman) suspensions, the lower
arms may be modified/replaced OR other methods of camber adjust-
ment as allowed by Sections 14.8.B, C, or F may be used, but NOT
both."
Arms and the rest of the strut/hub assy may not be modified together, but appears the you can do whatever to each assembly, as long as you don't do anything to the other assembly for camber. I am not a guru of SCCA regs however.

GTIfan99

Go Kart Newbie
Re read the rules, you are correct. You could probably run a camber plate and CSS knuckles. As it states in 14.8.H.2:
"On arm-and-strut (MacPherson/Chapman) suspensions, the lower
arms may be modified/replaced OR other methods of camber adjust-
ment as allowed by Sections 14.8.B, C, or F may be used, but NOT
both."
Arms and the rest of the strut/hub assy may not be modified together, but appears the you can do whatever to each assembly, as long as you don't do anything to the other assembly for camber. I am not a guru of SCCA regs however.
If it isn't specifically stated that you can replace the hub, you can not replace the hub.

Now at a local event, I doubt anyone would know or care.

I just installed the Eurosport camber kit on my PP GTI. I'll let you know how much negative camber I get, but I'm on APR springs now. No increase noise or harshness so far, but the APR springs don't pair well with RE71R's for daily driving, but I'm stuck using my track wheels because I went BBK over christmas and need to get another set of wheels and street tires that fit. Also, If you have to remove the front struts to do camber plates, then at least add some mild springs. The APR are not as mild as they claim, I'm at 1.1" drop, so I'll end up adding some negative camber being lower than R springs.

I will say that the CSS uses the same front springs as the 6spd R and the hub is -0.8. I'm assuming a stock R has to be around -1.2???, because they list the CSS as -2 camber upfront. My 2018 S is -0.9 and my 19 Rabbit is -.8 stock in front. As the R is 5mm lower, it makes sense that it should have more static negative camber.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Go Kart Newbie
Golf R specific questions as I plan on buying mounts (SuperPro or Whiteline) and Eibach springs.
With more neg camber up front (and more grip), do Golf R driver's go with a less aggressive rear sway bar? Like a 22mm instead of a 25mm.
Picture of the Whiteline
View attachment 162481
I've done nothing but read about springs for the last week. Don't get the US version of the Eibach springs. If you can get the European version, go for it. I went with APR, they're growing on me after the initial anger over their bogus .5 - .75in drop claims and removing some air from the tires to soften things up a little, but still too low for me. I may trim the bump stop and see if that helps.

Otherwise, MSS springs are the only option and they're EXPENSIVE. 3 sets of spring rates to choose from though. https://www.fastuningstore.com/collections/mk7-gti/products/vw-mk7-golf-gti-golf-r-mss-fully-adjustable-spring-kit

Last edited: