GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gertie GTD

Nyanga

Ready to race!
James,

Thanks for the very detailed and clear narrative up-date. I found it most informative and has made me wish I had put some of your options on. However, as many have said, there is a limit to what one can spend on options (and I still have not won the Lottery; strange that....).

Overall, your analysis is very comforting and confirms that I (and others) have ordered a gem of a car.

As you say, the full assessment will be made in, say, 2 years time when the car is completely run-in. But with luck on our sides, we will all have a great car for 6-10 years.

James75

Go Kart Champion
James,

Thanks for the very detailed and clear narrative up-date. I found it most informative and has made me wish I had put some of your options on. However, as many have said, there is a limit to what one can spend on options (and I still have not won the Lottery; strange that....).

Overall, your analysis is very comforting and confirms that I (and others) have ordered a gem of a car.

As you say, the full assessment will be made in, say, 2 years time when the car is completely run-in. But with luck on our sides, we will all have a great car for 6-10 years.

I would not regret any choices you have made, options are expensive, they are going to lose you money and fundamentally when you look at the basic spec of the GTD it is not lacking, and there no options that are going to make the car so much more enjoyable, the basics of the car, the things that are good are all there.

You're going to love the car (I am sure) whatever options you've chosen.

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
So far the likes...

Electronic Handbrake - makes complete sense
The comfort and general feel good factor of the interior
The gadgets - many of which actually seem useful

The not sure...
Getting use to the power well the torque, that's me, not the car, at the moment it feels a bit flat below 2500 revs, i know that will change as the engine beds in.
The steering wheel is not as intuitive as previous gen VW's - but there is more on there, that's a consequence of increased tech.

What do I really like?
I like the detail, that's always a VW hallmark, things work as they should, the stereo is where you expect it to be, that sounds obvious but everything is intuitive.

I've always like DIS/FIS between the dials, it's as crisp and clear as previous VW's, the white looks sharp and much more modern than the red that some manufacturers use still (Fiat).

I like the menus, lots of clever touches in the sat nav menu, the way it stores previous destinations.

I also the feeling of power, not because I really like going fast, but i like feeling being able to get up and down Devon's many hills.

And I am liking the MPG, since my first fill up in mixed driving i am averaging 45 mpg, pleased with that and what i expected.

It's not an 'exciting' - it doesn't tickle and stroke you, it doesn't shout, in fact its so good at what it does, it is quite ordinary but that for me is what i like. I also like the looks, they grow on you, they look sharp and crisp.

I also like that the individual settings make a difference, put it in sport or set the steering to sport and it really weights up, that's good when you want to tackle the twisty stuff.

So far, so good... Wipers seem okay, no buzzes and rattles yet!!!! (yet)

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
It's not an 'exciting' - it doesn't tickle and stroke you, it doesn't shout, in fact its so good at what it does, it is quite ordinary but that for me is what i like. I also like the looks, they grow on you, they look sharp and crisp.

You're right owning a golf isn't about ball bouncing performance it's about the whole experience. 6 months in and I don't have any rattles or squeaks either.

ihmix

Ready to race!
Im loving the detailed review its like a episode of top gear. cracking. Have you had any thoughts on your service package yet??? Have you had many comments about the black mirrors on your travels??

James75

Go Kart Champion
Im loving the detailed review its like a episode of top gear. cracking. Have you had any thoughts on your service package yet??? Have you had many comments about the black mirrors on your travels??

I have paid for a service package - I am a bit wary because my last vehicle was in effect a VW commercial vehicle - i paid for a service package and the commercial vehicles are often on a long life service plan, so i get little use out of it.

No comments on the black mirrors, which i think is good, when people obviously notice any mods, then, to me, it's too obvious, i like things to look OEM, as if they came out of the factory like that. They loved at the dealers, i suggested they should offer it to their customers as an extra.

I am glad you are like the updates, thank you.

I have done my second mod (after the mirrors) and added Traffic Sign Display/Recognition.

Attachments

• tsr1.jpg
    tsr1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,128

James75

Go Kart Champion
Yep - just a bit of coding - I am not convinced it is fully set up for the UK - but it's just a tiny bit of coding, Kev on here gave me the link - what is happening with your Golf?

ihmix

Ready to race!
Great little tweak. And the mpg is decent.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Great little tweak. And the mpg is decent.

I expected mixed driving around 45 to start - which i am happy with. I haven't had it in Eco mode - i can only really see that being a benefit on a long motorway run where you don't need any driving characteristics other than to progress in a straight line.

Really though a 180+ bhp car putting on an average on a new engine like that, that's pretty good.

My 2007 Volvo C30 with a 150bhp Diesel engine from a Ford used to put in note than 35 - 36mpg. I mention that because it's the most comparable car i've driven.

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
Just some additional pictures, firstly the additional in the infotainment system that allows you to turn it on and off and then one of the extra option you get on the MFD screen, instead of the signs at the top, like other Driver Assist options they can occupy the whole MFD screen. I will get some pictures of this tomorrow.

Attachments

• tsr2.jpg
    tsr2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,185
  • TSR3.jpg
    TSR3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,083

ihmix

Ready to race!
I must admit I was expecting the mpg to be around the mid 30's while you was galloping towards that 1000mile benchmark when things allegedly start to loosen up. A real surprise there. I like the display on the MFD screen and in full colour great little tweak. Have you got your own vcds cable from Ross Tech or did you pop to a garage. I was thinking of purchasing the hex net wifi dongle when it gets to these shores beginning of next year.

Golf GTD
Pure White
Dynaudio, Winter Pack, 19" Santiago Wheels, keyless, DCC.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I must admit I was expecting the mpg to be around the mid 30's while you was galloping towards that 1000mile benchmark when things allegedly start to loosen up. A real surprise there. I like the display on the MFD screen and in full colour great little tweak. Have you got your own vcds cable from Ross Tech or did you pop to a garage. I was thinking of purchasing the hex net wifi dongle when it gets to these shores beginning of next year.

Golf GTD
Pure White
Dynaudio, Winter Pack, 19" Santiago Wheels, keyless, DCC.

I haven't got my own VCDS - this was done by a mod on a Skoda Forum :) I haven't heard of the hex net wifi dongle - what exactly is that?

James

ihmix

Ready to race!
The Hex Net is Ross Techs latest diagnostic tool for VW which allows access to the cars Brain and allows for tweaks and more importantly fault finding. It is usually done by plugging into the car and hooking this directly to a PC. The Hex Net dongle is a wireless version that plugs into the car but then you can use your smartphone or ipad to access the car. It is currently at Beta stage at the moment but have been told it will be available in the Uk early next year. You can buy it now from the states but I'm waiting until they have ironed out any little problems they are currently experiencing.

James75

Go Kart Champion
The Hex Net is Ross Techs latest diagnostic tool for VW which allows access to the cars Brain and allows for tweaks and more importantly fault finding. It is usually done by plugging into the car and hooking this directly to a PC. The Hex Net dongle is a wireless version that plugs into the car but then you can use your smartphone or ipad to access the car. It is currently at Beta stage at the moment but have been told it will be available in the Uk early next year. You can buy it now from the states but I'm waiting until they have ironed out any little problems they are currently experiencing.

Ah that sounds clever - i am not sure how much use i'd have for it though, i like the tweaks, but i am not sure i'd want to do anymore that said, having something for diagnostics is really useful.

Although I have activated TSR - I am not convinced it is activated correctly but i am happy with it as it is.

How much is the dongle by the way?

James

Last edited: