GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gertie GTD

James75

Go Kart Champion
Ordered!

So it's done...

Order confirmed, The California Beach sold, price agreed... Forums have been read and reread.

We had a two week period where we chopped and changed our order, options are so personal, and to be honest, a standard GTD I feel actually offers great value for money, in some respects I feel the GTD offers better value than the GT, if only VW fitted Sat Nav as standard to the GTD.

I looked around at GTD's for sale, ex demos etc, the prices seem to exist only to cut down the wait. At the price we paid, I simply couldn't find any existing stock that come close the spec we wanted. This is compounded that many people go for the 'show' options, big wheels, dynaudio, leather, keyless.... Nothing wrong with these but I had no real desire for them.

I am buying this car privately so there was a desire to future proof it as much possible, come its mid life facelift, some of the current options will become standard, i would suspect almost certainly the standard sat nav. I also didn't want to be in the position that i have before where you regret picking options or you go down the retrofit route.

So after some thought I went for.

Pure White
Manual
Jacara Cloth
Rear View Camera
Discover Navigation Pro
Winter Pack
Lane Assist
High Beam Assist
Park Assist

The Discover Navigation Pro was the toughest choice but in the end, I thought it was useful to have, though I am not sure I can justify the extra cost. I will be interested to see if it goes online in the UK in the future. I did agonise over keyless, it feels and looks quite special, but the options had to end somewhere.

Colours were much of a muchness, some nice colours but none I thought were must have. I went for white because it should highlight the detailing on the wheels and compliment the more angular lines of the Mk7.

I have test drove the GTD, and it's impressive, I am not expecting a point and squirt sports car, I would have picked the GTi for that. I think there is a tendency to talk about the GTD as a 'diesel hot hatch', I get that, but if you want a hot hatch with all the thrills, then I'd pick the GTi. It's certainly impressive inside though, I hate the way manufacturers throw buttons at their dashboards and over design their interiors so that look quite fussy. Both Ford and Vauxhall seem guilty of this, it smacks of insecurity and a lack of confidence, I like the way VW keep it quite simple and quite classy. Sitting inside the GTD, it feels like a quality of product. Of course so it should be with a price rapidly hurtling towards 30k.

Now the wait and and an unhealthy relationship with the VW Tracker. We're been told October, but hey, who knows...

I intend to do a journal, because the real world driving experiences in this section have proved invaluable.

And yes, she is to be called Gertie.

James

Last edited:

GC854

Ready to race!
Great choice and many a true word :)

James75

Go Kart Champion
Thank you

I think the options aspect is difficult and the UK GTD does seem to be well equipped compared to other European Markets, I do wish we had the optional suede style seats, they look amazing. I think personally, Sat Nav is a must but really VW should fit it as standard. I notice that they've gone for a lot of safety kit, which i guess brings the insurance down and makes it a more financially viable prospect to own.

I was really quite inspired by your journal in writing this, it's really good and real world advice and experience can't be beaten

James

mon2s

Ready to race!
Well done James. Glad to hear you've signed up.

The insurance certainly was a lot less than I expected - I guess the city braking etc helps a lot with that.

Simon

James75

Go Kart Champion
Well done James. Glad to hear you've signed up.

The insurance certainly was a lot less than I expected - I guess the city braking etc helps a lot with that.

Simon

I understand it does, i mean my insurance is cheap for what is still 180bhp+ car. I guess it is quite a clever way for VW to increase sales. Gone of the days when Volvo was mocked for selling on safety :)

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
I will add, one thing that did concern me and to be honest it was no surprise, was just the lack of knowledge on options.

I know this is age old comment about dealers and what they know about the vehicles they sell, but having to point out what the option packs were or contained or confirming things felt a bit odd. Not that the service was poor, just, you want to be filled with confidence when spending that kind of money.

In fairness, VW UK themselves seem completely confused, so what chance do dealers have. I am still wondering even though I have Lane Assist and Nav Pro whether i will actually get Traffic Sign recognition.

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
12th Jul 2014

So the order has gone through, I am left with an order number which sees me glued to the tracker website, which is ridiculous, nothing changes, it's just full of curious 1990's Nintendo style boxes and icons. I think it is meant to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, it doesn't, it just gives me anxiety.

Some confusion over the options and the salesperson doesn't seem that clued up, which has led me to check and double check conflicting information.

Does my Lane Assist include High beam Assist, and is High Beam Assist the same as Dynamic Light Assist and why is the price different to the website, the brochure says one price, the website says another... There appear to be no clear cut answers this, and the anxiety i found at the tracker website is only added to.

E Mail to dealer to let them know, I definitely want to add High Beam assist.

Either way, the GTD is fabulously equipped. I've been checking used stock against my new from factory price, used stock seems expensive and only there because you don't want to wait. I can understand that, but it doesn't represent good value for money, unless you really can't wait and you are not fussy about your spec.

Ive been told October, which seems an age away, I've sold my Camper, I probably should have waited but didn't want to risk it. A hire car has been, well, hired... That will be our transport now until Gertie, the so called GTD arrives.

Now, I just endlessly watch the tracker....

James

mon2s

Ready to race!
Just to warn you that nothing will change on the tracker for a couple of months - once it goes build week confirmed, then it gets exciting. That won't happen until 4 weeks before the build date which in turn is 3 to 4 weeks before delivery.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Just to warn you that nothing will change on the tracker for a couple of months - once it goes build week confirmed, then it gets exciting. That won't happen until 4 weeks before the build date which in turn is 3 to 4 weeks before delivery.

That was going to be my best question - I was going to ask what happens next.

I've resigned myself to mid/late October.

I know it will be worth it, I won't say i have a particularly good deal but I do have the car I want, so just go to wait.

I guess I chose the wrong time to give up chewing my nails...

:)

James

James75

Go Kart Champion
You'll be driving it before that tracker does anything!!! Enjoy the wait :D

lol I expect so :)

Dealer has arranged to call every two weeks, not that i expect that to be any better, but at least it makes you feel a bit better.

James

salmon

Ready to race!
If it helps James, I pick mine up this week and have waited just over 5 months. Its not unheard of and many will concur. I'm glad VW have sorted this and 12-14 weeks seems much more acceptable. Must be a car in demand.

Back in early Feb when I ordered there weren't many around on the roads, now we are plagued with them, unless of course they were hibernating!

Enjoy the forum and the wait will eventually be over!

James75

Go Kart Champion
If it helps James, I pick mine up this week and have waited just over 5 months. Its not unheard of and many will concur. I'm glad VW have sorted this and 12-14 weeks seems much more acceptable. Must be a car in demand.

Back in early Feb when I ordered there weren't many around on the roads, now we are plagued with them, unless of course they were hibernating!

Enjoy the forum and the wait will eventually be over!

Used prices for nearly new - low milage would suggest demand is high. I would have been happy to buy nearly new, but for what I've paid, I haven't found anything nearly new with the same spec for the same money. I guess that will change over time.

The only pain for me is, i have to hire a car until Gertie turns up, so the sooner the better.

I am not quite sure how I ended up ordering a new one lol I had an idea that I would like a Golf GTD and that I'd buy something second hand or nearly new and before I knew it i was at the dealer signing up....

James

Last edited:

salmon

Ready to race!
I hope your hire car is adequate, well it certainly won't match the Camper size wise, lets hope your not in a vehicle with a piddly engine. Or that you don't look like Mr Incredible inside a small vehicle! :)

I'm moving away from BMW so the wait and VW best be worth it!