GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gen 1 Valentine 1

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I found my Gen 1 V1 that I haven't used since 2011. Question for those of you in CA using V1's - should I send this to V1 and upgrade to Gen 2 at a discounted price or is it not worth it in Southern California? Do these things need to be serviced at all? I received this used back in 2009 or so and was told that I should send it in for service but never got around to doing that.

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would send it in to be upgraded. A lot cheaper than a new one.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Are you still using it at all? You'll definitely get a lot less false alerts with the updated one. I had a V1 I bought in 2008ish that I sent in for an upgrade last year. The new ones don't go off all the time.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Are you still using it at all? You'll definitely get a lot less false alerts with the updated one. I had a V1 I bought in 2008ish that I sent in for an upgrade last year. The new ones don't go off all the time.

I haven't used it at all since 2011. I remember reading that I need to send in my gen 1 and the power cable but I can't find any of the cables that I used w/ this unit. Did you guys send in your gen 1 units w/ power cable?

Thanks!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I haven't used it at all since 2011. I remember reading that I need to send in my gen 1 and the power cable but I can't find any of the cables that I used w/ this unit. Did you guys send in your gen 1 units w/ power cable?

Thanks!

All I sent in was the unit by itself.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Ah, didn't realize they had a new model. My really old one actually quit working last year so I sent it in for a new one, but it's still a gen 1.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
OP I don't know if you checked the Valentine websites upgrade offer but here's the link if you want to find out if you can upgrade yours.

https://www.valentine1.com/v1-detectors/upgrades/
Yeah I did check that link and i'm eligible for the discounted upgrade but wanted to see if anyone thought it wasn't worth upgrading in southern california. I think I will upgrade though.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
So I just decided to run with my gen 1 for a bit longer until the gen 2 bugs and random failures are figured out. Question is...wtf do I do with this red wire? I understand it needs to tap into an accessory wire but then what? Do I put the red wire in the blue tap? I suck with any and all electrical work.

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_192048.jpg
    IMG_20200602_192048.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 94

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
So I just decided to run with my gen 1 for a bit longer until the gen 2 bugs and random failures are figured out. Question is...wtf do I do with this red wire? I understand it needs to tap into an accessory wire but then what? Do I put the red wire in the blue tap? I suck with any and all electrical work.

The easiest way to do it without worrying about screwing up wires is get an add-a-circuit fuse kit. https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-NI-FH02-Circuit-Adapter-Warranty/dp/B0742BZXC2
Splice the 2 red wires together and plug the new fuse in.