GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I am reserving final judgement until the root cause is identified but yes. My confidence in Baer brakes is deeply, deeply shaken.
That kinda failure right after a rebuild, that's a one strike you're out scenario for me. Either the brakes or whomever rebuilt them.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
That kinda failure right after a rebuild, that's a one strike you're out scenario for me. Either the brakes or whomever rebuilt them.
Yep I agree. But is the blame on the rebuilder or did they fail for some other reason. Correlation is super strong here but data will ultimately decide where the finger gets pointed to.

In that vein, HPA sent me an update and Baer is getting directly involved to understand the nature of the failure and the calipers are being sent to them for investigation. In return, Baer is sending brand new calipers to be installed hopefully for this Friday so I can at least have the car back until the verdict comes in.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yep I agree. But is the blame on the rebuilder or did they fail for some other reason. Correlation is super strong here but data will ultimately decide where the finger gets pointed to.

In that vein, HPA sent me an update and Baer is getting directly involved to understand the nature of the failure and the calipers are being sent to them for investigation. In return, Baer is sending brand new calipers to be installed hopefully for this Friday so I can at least have the car back until the verdict comes in.
Man, fuck all that noise, you could have been seriously injured. They should be sending you... I don't know what. A Geisha, a geisha will do.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Man, fuck all that noise, you could have been seriously injured. They should be sending you... I don't know what. A Geisha, a geisha will do.
I'd take a Geisha or 4. Yummy.

I'll keep you guys all updated as things progress.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Hey so go I want to preface this message by saying that both HPA and Baer (the BBK manufacturer) have been excellent through this whole ordeal. HPA paid for my tow and Baer is covering the investigation and gave me a fresh set of calipers to use in the meantime. It was an emotional week but everyone is going everything they can to make things right. Yes, it was scary and near disastrous, and could have been but we're here to talk about it and moving on with clear heads.

The calipers are off to Baer for investigation and are going to provide a failure report/diagnosis as these were rebuilt by a trained professional to the exact standards they specify. The rebuild included roundness/tolerance checks and pressure testing of the pistons and calipers and having this failure being the event immediately afterward this obviously shouldn't happen. We'll be figuring out what's to blame soon.

Until then, the car's been returned to me with brand new calipers & pads. Everything's been checked for damage and is back to normal. She's driving great.
PXL_20220917_000112839.jpg

PXL_20220916_235341234.jpg

The only lingering damage being permanent white spots on the rotor hats. I'll consider them a war story/scar.
PXL_20220916_235502117.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Hey so go I want to preface this message by saying that both HPA and Baer (the BBK manufacturer) have been excellent through this whole ordeal. HPA paid for my tow and Baer is covering the investigation and gave me a fresh set of calipers to use in the meantime. It was an emotional week but everyone is going everything they can to make things right. Yes, it was scary and near disastrous, and could have been but we're here to talk about it and moving on with clear heads.

The calipers are off to Baer for investigation and are going to provide a failure report/diagnosis as these were rebuilt by a trained professional to the exact standards they specify. The rebuild included roundness/tolerance checks and pressure testing of the pistons and calipers and having this failure being the event immediately afterward this obviously shouldn't happen. We'll be figuring out what's to blame soon.

Until then, the car's been returned to me with brand new calipers & pads. Everything's been checked for damage and is back to normal. She's driving great.
View attachment 260839

View attachment 260840

The only lingering damage being permanent white spots on the rotor hats. I'll consider them a war story/scar.
View attachment 260841
I wouldn't have stopped there. I would have gotten some hre's out of this.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I wouldn't have stopped there. I would have gotten some hre's out of this.
Good thing I’ve specced out a new set of HRE I want. A lot of the closure around this and finger pointing will come down to the failure investigation done by Baer. I don’t rake people over the coals just because I am mad at something. The result of the investigation will determine where all this pent up anger goes lol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Good thing I’ve specced out a new set of HRE I want. A lot of the closure around this and finger pointing will come down to the failure investigation done by Baer. I don’t rake people over the coals just because I am mad at something. The result of the investigation will determine where all this pent up anger goes lol.
You're too good. I can't control my emotions that way.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Photographer from the event last Monday caught me not long after things settled down walking the pits. That look lol.
RMF2022 (27).jpg

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Test fit the upgraded brake system. It's a thing of beauty.

380mm 6 pot. Quick change pads titanium capped pistons and 18mm of pad material. The calipers are so light for their size too.

PXL_20220930_180659448.jpg

PXL_20220930_174747005.jpg

They custom made a bracket and milled the caliper so it could fit my 18" wheel and it's hella tight.

PXL_20220930_180026488.jpg

PXL_20220930_180016326.jpg