GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Couple of quick shots from my buddy. Chased down and obliterated that R8 V10 and many other cars at the event. Beat my PB by 3 seconds: all the suspension upgrades really paid off! Having proper bucket seat + harness really helped with the comfort in the high G turns and braking zones too.

View attachment 253010

View attachment 253011

Fun fact: I was hitting the kerbs so hard that my entire dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree because it thought it was in a crash: TPMS, stability control, etc were all disabled until I pulled into the pits and did a few circles at full lock. Carried on to finish the session lol.
Wish we could have seen the facial expression of the driver in the R8 when you passed and obliterated him.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Couple of quick shots from my buddy. Chased down and obliterated that R8 V10 and many other cars at the event. Beat my PB by 3 seconds: all the suspension upgrades really paid off! Having proper bucket seat + harness really helped with the comfort in the high G turns and braking zones too.

View attachment 253010

View attachment 253011

Fun fact: I was hitting the kerbs so hard that my entire dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree because it thought it was in a crash: TPMS, stability control, etc were all disabled until I pulled into the pits and did a few circles at full lock. Carried on to finish the session lol.
Had this happen to me as well at the track last week.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Had this happen to me as well at the track last week.
That's reassuring heh. My friend in his TT RS and I hit the same kerb back to back and we both had to pull in.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
That's reassuring heh. My friend in his TT RS and I hit the same kerb back to back and we both had to pull in.
Also noticed my front tires run 4 psi hotter than the rears if you’re really cranking on it. Need to get a real diff and disable the xds system

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Some choice shots from the past track day!

VIMC-Rizzo-181.jpg

VIMC-Rizzo-188.jpg

VIMC-Rizzo-72.jpg

VIMC-Rizzo-95.jpg

VIMC-Rizzo-134.jpg

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Have another track day coming up on the eleventh at Area 27... but right now it's under water due to local flooding

1656976775760.png

That's several feet of water at the bottom of that hill. If it doesn't drain in the next few days guess I'm cancelling the trip!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Not a post I am super proud to share. But this is a journal so with the good must come with the bad.

This past Monday we hit up Area 27, a high speed technical track in the Okanagan valley.
1657726559593.png

The entire trip up I couldn't shake a sinking feeling that something wasn't gonna go right at this event, and well it materialized itself. The track day started super early and I didn't get any sleep. Gates at 7am, up at 6:30am (I am not a morning person). Advanced group was first on track immediately after the driver's meeting and was in a rush to get the car prepped and all gear sorted.

We got out onto the track and 3 laps in I got an overheating warning and immediately cooled down and exited the track. Oil temps hit 140C despite an ambient temperature of ~20C (it went up to >35C later in the day). Ok, I forgot to take off my tow hook plate and was creating negative pressure, stalling the air around the aux radiator. Removed it, did a few hot laps with the novice group and everything's happy.

I hop on for the 2nd advanced group session. Immediately something felt wrong: the braking was inconsistent and was impossible to threshold brake, or just brake hard in general. The pads I am running, Ferodo DS1.11, brake hard and wear very minimally. I had 70% life on them when I left home to drive to the track. In one hard braking zone I literally felt the pedal drop about 1/2 way with almost no resistance, which I thought was just hot brake fluid but again, not something that really has ever happened given the brand new brake fluid I put in a few days prior. I cooled down, completed the session and parked in the pits.

My friend made a comment that there's a lot of ash/metal flakes falling out of my calipers and piled up under my front right wheel. I joke that yeah, it happens, damn dusty pads. Then looking closer the fucking pad was metal on metal and the rotor was scored/etched in a really nasty way. Not good!!!

PXL_20220711_170624089.jpg

PXL_20220711_170629118.MP.jpg

PXL_20220711_210323388.jpg

I managed to find a fresh set of street pads at the Lordco down the road, and proceeded to swap the pads. What we found there looks like the pads literally disintegrated, and that the one turn where the pedal just kept dropping was likely the pads completely breaking apart. The pistons are in horrible shape and took try bars and a lot of leverage to retract enough to put the shitty street pads in: they've knackered. The pads I took off look like they were falling apart, and tapered, which was something I've never seen pads on this brake system do before, so that may indicate part of the problem.

Again, these had 70% life before the track day and the current hypothesis is that the pistons were getting stickier and stickier, dragging on the pad and with area 27 being so high speed they just exited chat. Other hypotheses/opinions welcomed.

The rotor also expanded and made contact to the inside of the caliper with metal/paint transfer on the caliper and outside of the ring (no pics). The whole front brake system is getting rebuilt, with fresh rotors and also a thorough inspection of everything that got extra crispy in the wheel wells happening.

So yeah, super anxious the whole way home and any small noise or odd feeling was stress inducing but I made it home safely. Parts are ordered and checking the car in for rebuild/inspection ASAP. Glad to be home in one piece.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Following up to the previous post, the front BBK is basically a write off now. I'll basically have to buy new everything if I want to keep usin git.

Looking to upgrade to an AP Racing Radi-cal 9668 system in the front. Same size rotors but much better made calipers and 25mm/1in worth of pad material. Should have it ready for the next track day in September.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
How's the brake balance running similar size rotors front to back?
The brake balance is unchanged with the rotors as the the piston sizes are all matched with the front BBK so it's perfectly fine. The big difference is thermal capacity and heat rejection between the bigger irons and full floating 2-piece design.

However, with the DS1.11 in the front and DS 2500 in the rears it does shift the brake bias to the front as the DS1.11 have a higher mu than the DS2500. In this application though I prefer a front biased braking system.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The brake balance is unchanged with the rotors as the the piston sizes are all matched with the front BBK so it's perfectly fine. The big difference is thermal capacity and heat rejection between the bigger irons and full floating 2-piece design.

However, with the DS1.11 in the front and DS 2500 in the rears it does shift the brake bias to the front as the DS1.11 have a higher mu than the DS2500. In this application though I prefer a front biased braking system.

I ask since the rotor also plays a large part in the braking system's available torque, increasing the rear size provides additional torque.

I know you have a matching kit by HPA (Baer), so I'm sure that has been calculated out...you're one of the few I have seen running similar front to rear size rotors and tracking their car.

I've been pondering upgrading my rear 310mm Girodisc setup to 350mm to go with my front 350mm Brembo GTS kit I have coming 🤔

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I ask since the rotor also plays a large part in the braking system's available torque, increasing the rear size provides additional torque.

I know you have a matching kit by HPA (Baer), so I'm sure that has been calculated out...you're one of the few I have seen running similar front to rear size rotors and tracking their car.

I've been pondering upgrading my rear 310mm Girodisc setup to 350mm to go with my front 350mm Brembo GTS kit I have coming 🤔
True but the torque is pad face area * pressure applied iirc and it's the OEM caliper/pad in the rear. But the feel of the car at the track is stable and well balanced still.

I did used to have HPA's rear BBK too on my GTI but it doesn't work with the electronic parking brake sadly.

I swapped back to my daily wheels and used the fitment templates for AP racing, and sadly the 9668 calipers do not clear by a mile, but the 9660 calipers clear with a finger gap. Guess I'm going with those!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
True but the torque is pad face area * pressure applied iirc and it's the OEM caliper/pad in the rear. But the feel of the car at the track is stable and well balanced still.

I did used to have HPA's rear BBK too on my GTI but it doesn't work with the electronic parking brake sadly.

I swapped back to my daily wheels and used the fitment templates for AP racing, and sadly the 9668 calipers do not clear by a mile, but the 9660 calipers clear with a finger gap. Guess I'm going with those!
torque is also larger the more radius you have. like using a longer wrench.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
torque is also larger the more radius you have. like using a longer wrench.
Gah you're right. Inhaled too much brake dust this week lol.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

So, following up to this.. I just spent the afternoon at HPA speaking with their engineer about what to do about the front brakes.

Having looked at the AP Racing Radi-cal 9660 setup, with the 355mm rotor, they also offered an unlisted brake kit from Baer which uses their top of the line XTR caliper coupled with a 380mm rotor. Still has quick change pads, Alu pistons w/ Ti caps, AND we confirmed fitment on the spot with my 18" wheels.

So, will officially have bigger rotors on the front again soon. They've only shipped this brake setup on one other car they've built, ZilaMoTTo: