GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
HPA hosted a show and shine today and 2.5VRT build #1 and #2 were front and center at the booth. And they had a dressed up engine on display too.

1650150331971.png

1650150354116.png

Not the final design for the shroud and head covering. Sounds like they want to coat the head cover in the iconic golf R blue colour and add some custom shrouding and heat shielding.

Also got to check out this sweet Formula V car while there. oh man if I had the space to store and work on one.

1650150501596.png

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
HPA hosted a show and shine today and 2.5VRT build #1 and #2 were front and center at the booth. And they had a dressed up engine on display too.

View attachment 246215

View attachment 246216

Not the final design for the shroud and head covering. Sounds like they want to coat the head cover in the iconic golf R blue colour and add some custom shrouding and heat shielding.

Also got to check out this sweet Formula V car while there. oh man if I had the space to store and work on one.

View attachment 246217
The tiny little plaque on the engine that says VRT 550, is that the horsepower?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
The tiny little plaque on the engine that says VRT 550, is that the horsepower?
It's possible as an absolute floor for the first turbo setup. But honestly, until there's a dyno plot it's almost anyone's guess and that should at least be the floor. We know the engine is capable of more with a bigger turbo than factory but we need to break bedrock somewhere. Since no one's built these engines up anywhere on the planet there's no aftermarket support for tuning or parts so everything's gotta be developed in-house or with their R&D partner in Germany.

And whatever #'s are put up will have the caveat that it's with crappy Canadian pump too, heh. Throw some US92 or an e-blend at it and who knows how much more power you could squeeze out. I'm excited to see what it'll do, and yes there will be 4-bangers and DAZA swaps with sky high numbers out there, but that can't last forever :)

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Just posted it here cause it’s kinda on topic. VRT swap and all..
Yes sorry, internet being the pinnacle of nuance in sharing I wasn’t sure how to take what you shared :) I appreciate it though, I love OG’s videos and that thing is an absolute beast.

What is the 2.5 from? I am not familiar with all the VW engines.

And will it sound similar to what is in the video because that sound gave me a chubby 🧐
Yes, it should sound similar to that if I straight pipe it. But given the cop’s stance on anything louder than OEM I am going to gradually raise the volume. Starting with a res delete and OEM rear muffler. I asked for some exhaust setup opinions above and am looking at all possibilities.

I really miss the REMUS from my GTI, and a resonated valved exhaust may be what the doctor ordered. Just has to fit with the Verus rear diffuse I am putting on!
it's from the terramont, the chinese version of the atlas. nothing sold here in the US, which is why this is such a special snowflake swap.
Hell ya! That’s the one. HPA enabled MPI on it and we’re gonna rock it. Using the RS3 LPFP and an uprated HPFP on the DDKA engine specifically for initial fuelling. Making an engine meant for an SUV shine in a mega hot hatch build means the engine has to change quite a bit and I’ll share all the details as we get deeper into the build.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
So how do you get the 2.5vr? What's that a love child of?
It's a bit of a long story but tl;dr VW China had to keep a warehouse full of fully dressed and ready to use engines in the case of warranty claims against the Telagon/Terramont for a certain # of years. Once this time elapsed there were literally 100s of these engines which were going to go to the scrap bin.

A few folk banded together and purchased a bunch of them. DM Motorsport out of Quebec bought a handful, along with others out there.

People have started to swap the DDKA/DPKA, and one or two have it running (DM Motorsport specifically) but no one's tuned it beyond OEM+ power levels yet. I saw a mk4 with this swap in it with a mild tune online, and DM's is using a manual transmission in a MK7 TSI body but all the golf R body pieces.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
1651081018971.png

While waiting for all the magic to happen my tires finally arrived and were test mounted. Bronze wheel + meaty tires looks awesome on the car imo.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Due to China shipping lane issues with the hard lockdown happening in Shanghai and other cities closing their ports I have got the car released back to me. They simply cannot get the parts required to start the build and were being given overly optimistic timelines from the shippers overseas it sounds like. So I took it to the track for potentially a final full send at the track yesterday.

So in case anyone was wondering why there are action shots of my car when it's supposed to be in the middle of the VR swap, yeah. Fuckin' supply chains.