GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Something I am starting to think about is what kind of exhaust would let this thing really shine. I am keeping OEM suit case and just res deleting for now but I feel like I am wanting to get this thing to really roar.

Any OG folk who've listened to VR6 exhaust systems have any thoughts/experiences?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Something I am starting to think about is what kind of exhaust would let this thing really shine. I am keeping OEM suit case and just res deleting for now but I feel like I am wanting to get this thing to really roar.

Any OG folk who've listened to VR6 exhaust systems have any thoughts/experiences?
Back then there weren't that many options like there are today for the MK7. For the VR6, there's Billy Boat, Neuspeed, Techtonics Tuning, 42 Draft Design, Milltek, Magnaflow, AWE and Euro Sport. On my MK4 GTI, I had a Billy Boat TBE and it sounded pretty good.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Might sound weird, but the magnaflow on the 12V VR6 sounded ridiculously good.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Back then there weren't that many options like there are today for the MK7. For the VR6, there's Billy Boat, Neuspeed, Techtonics Tuning, 42 Draft Design, Milltek, Magnaflow, AWE and Euro Sport. On my MK4 GTI, I had a Billy Boat TBE and it sounded pretty good.
Yeah there's so much to choose from, I'll do the YT rounds and check out how they sound. It still feels like a gamble since the MQB/MK7.5 R exhausts will all be tuned for making an i4 sound good.

Might sound weird, but the magnaflow on the 12V VR6 sounded ridiculously good.
I've heard the magnaflow + VR = pure eargasm from a few people. Their build quality was a bit sus though weren't they? I think malaka did some tests for their vRS3 a while ago too and now I gotta dig that up again.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yeah there's so much to choose from, I'll do the YT rounds and check out how they sound. It still feels like a gamble since the MQB/MK7.5 R exhausts will all be tuned for making an i4 sound good.

I've heard the magnaflow + VR = pure eargasm from a few people. Their build quality was a bit sus though weren't they? I think malaka did some tests for their vRS3 a while ago too and now I gotta dig that up again.
So question for you - now that HPA is doing your swap, are they going to have some sort of kit available for the rest of the world or....?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
So question for you - now that HPA is doing your swap, are they going to have some sort of kit available for the rest of the world or....?
It is definitely going to be something they will do in-house for a while. They have a healthy supply of engines for interested folk :) I don't think it'll be a kit you can just buy, at least not for a long while. It's pretty insane the things they need to do to get it all to fit nicely, and pictures will do it all justice.

I am going to their show and shine on April 16 and hope to poke my head in and see how things are shaping up, if the haven't already posted some stuff by then

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It is definitely going to be something they will do in-house for a while. They have a healthy supply of engines for interested folk :) I don't think it'll be a kit you can just buy, at least not for a long while. It's pretty insane the things they need to do to get it all to fit nicely, and pictures will do it all justice.

I am going to their show and shine on April 16 and hope to poke my head in and see how things are shaping up, if the haven't already posted some stuff by then
Realistically, 10K CAD build?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Realistically, 10K CAD build?
It's more in line w/ their FTX VR turbo programs but there's so much R&D work to be done I've no idea what they plan to charge once we get the first two cars rolling. The cost of getting in at this stage is not representative of the cost for future builds.

I have lots to share about details on exactly how much of the car goes and what stays but I want to share that as they have some photos of the build.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG