GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Nice choice on the wheels, I’ve been eyeing them for a bit. What size are you looking to fit with the RS4s? I’m hoping to squeeze a 255/35/18 MPS4S on the 18x8.5 ET 45.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Nice choice on the wheels, I’ve been eyeing them for a bit. What size are you looking to fit with the RS4s? I’m hoping to squeeze a 255/35/18 MPS4S on the 18x8.5 ET 45.
I could probably easily stuff a 255 width set of RS-4 with room to spare given the camber I have up front today but I would have to start thinking about strut clearance.

For now, I'll likely just stick with 245 until I wear through the set. The biggest win for me will be going back to 18" wheels for the track. Been using my Pretorias, while a great wheel I liked the steering feeling of 18's I had on my GTI.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Continuing planning for the 2022 track season I am looking at a dedicated track pad to swap to for HDPE events. The DS2500 are definitely a capable pad but once you start getting them blazingly hot they tend to just wear super quick. I had to go through 2 sets during 2021's track season and only did 4 or so events.

Doing some research and it looks like I'll be getting a set of Ferodo DS Uno pads to swap for the track day and back to DS 2500 for daily driving. The wear characteristics, temp range and average mu all look like it'll make braking at the track much better and save a bit on replacement pads & rotors over time.

Ferodo's site makes the choice pretty straight forward (well any racing pad vendor has similar diagrams too): https://pages.ferodoracing.com/products/car-racing/racing-brake-pads

charts-2021.jpg

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I got 4 lapping days in last year and the wear was really eating away the tread on the shoulder. I tried a bunch of different tire pressures to mitigate it and I guess I am just out driving the capabilities of the tire at this stage trying to go for PB's. Time to upgrade. Though to be honest, I could have gotten many more out of these tires but I want to preserve the outside tread so I can still drive it in the wet in Vancouver.

It's still a great tire and if I weren't focusing so much on consistency and reducing times I would probably stick with them.
Gotcha, thanks for your input. I'll be trying to do my first HPDE sometime next year and I don't imagine myself going more than a few times a year. Though if I find a good deal on a set of lightweight 18's then I'll probably try and get a more track focused tire.

Now when is your engine swap happening...Tell HPA they can't let Innovative Motorsports have all the fun!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Gotcha, thanks for your input. I'll be trying to do my first HPDE sometime next year and I don't imagine myself going more than a few times a year. Though if I find a good deal on a set of lightweight 18's then I'll probably try and get a more track focused tire.
Superspeed's are really affordable, light, and good quality flow formed wheels if you haven't looked at them. I have RF03RR for my winter wheels.

Now when is your engine swap happening...Tell HPA they can't let Innovative Motorsports have all the fun!
Heh I know right? I was sending weekly e-mails for updates and it looks like they're past the delays which are out of their control and are finally getting the fab work started. Looking like early-mid January to get it in. But don't want to promise anything to myself in case there are more delays out of our control.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Went out an got myself a HALDEX tune from UM last week. Seeing the big thread on here and reading a bit more about it on the internet piqued my interest and figure I’d give it a shot.

The good news is that when the power’s down and you’re pushing the car it’s a whole new experience. The car is much more neutral and even has a new tendency to want to oversteer. Right when leaving the shop after the flash I ripped it on a hard turn and got a nice controllable kicked out rear end. Tons of fun!

Cannot wait to test it out at the track. The shop owner was saying it completely eliminates the ploughing on corner exit when you get on the throttle and I believe him.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Really frustrating thing happened a few weeks back. The car's always had a really weak battery since I took delivery and have always had a lithium ion battery jumper in the trunk just in case.

With this cold snap in BC the car refuses to hold a charge and crank so just turfed the OEM battery and went for a NAPA Legend battery (group 48) to replace it. Can't believe the difference in cranking the new battery and really drives home how poor the OEM had been all along.

I contemplated a lithium ion battery for weight savings but maybe another time. I just want my car to start and not wait several days.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Still in a holding pattern for the engine project but I am finding the longer I wait, the more I am adding to the parts list to add while it's in there. The waiting and excitement/frustration is turning into money spent to make it better and better. I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever financially recover from this.

I saw a set of https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/dynamic/recaro-sportster-cs on a 7.5R the other day and strongly considering getting a set for the R while it's in for the engine project. Seems the general consensus is that they're about as comfortable as OEM but much much better bolstering and fit.

So let's do a recap of what's on deck for the next visit to HPA because why not. I think a lot has been added but not noted here yet.
  • Ultra top secret engine swap + all the trimmings (fuel system redo, transmission update, etc etc etc)
  • Upgraded DSG clutchpack (for 630ft-lbs holding power)
  • 27mm H&R FSB
  • Wavetrac front and rear LSD (assuming availability lines up)
  • Verus rear diffuser
  • Verus front canards
  • Aerofabb front splitter and side skirts
  • Ethanol + oil pressure sensors added and configured to display in my VAD Pro
  • Superspeed PF03RR forged wheels (18x8.5 et 42) + Hankook RS-4 245/40/R18
  • Ferodo DS1.11 pads (DS Uno not available locally)
  • Recaro Sportster CS seats (???)

Running down the list I feel like I'll be saying goodbye to the car for at least a month while it all happens lol.

Last edited:

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Do the superspeeds fit decently with the BBK?
I have the flowforms on the car right now for my winters and it's tight. Maybe 3-4mm of clearance to the rear caliper. If I were able to fit my original rear BBK w/ a 4 piston caliper it actually was much smaller as the caliper didn't jut out so far. You definitely don't want wheel weights anywhere near the center of the barrel.

In the front though, plenty of space as the 6-piston caliper fits much closer to the rotor.

I e-mailed superspeed and they had told me that there's even bigger barrel on the forged series so I should have a bigger gap than I do now.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Still in a holding pattern for the engine project but I am finding the longer I wait, the more I am adding to the parts list to add while it's in there. The waiting and excitement/frustration is turning into money spent to make it better and better. I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever financially recover from this.

I saw a set of https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/dynamic/recaro-sportster-cs on a 7.5R the other day and strongly considering getting a set for the R while it's in for the engine project. Seems the general consensus is that they're about as comfortable as OEM but much much better bolstering and fit.

So let's do a recap of what's on deck for the next visit to HPA because why not. I think a lot has been added but not noted here yet.
  • Ultra top secret engine swap + all the trimmings (fuel system redo, transmission update, etc etc etc)
  • Upgraded DSG clutchpack (for 630ft-lbs holding power)
  • Wavetrac front and rear LSD (assuming availability lines up)
  • Verus rear diffuser
  • Verus front canards
  • Aerofabb front splitter and side skirts
  • Ethanol + oil pressure sensors added and configured to display in my VAD Pro
  • Superspeed PF03RR forged wheels (18x8.5 et 42) + Hankook RS-4 245/40/R18
  • Ferodo DS1.11 pads (DS Uno not available locally)
  • Recaro Clubsport CS seats (???)

Running down the list I feel like I'll be saying goodbye to the car for at least a month while it all happens lol.
Can't wait to see this beast when it is done.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Vr6 R30 swap. Am I right or what?
Man I want nothing more than to spill the beans but I would get castrated by Marcel and their brand manager :( Just need to hold the line a bit longer…

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG