GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gbot's 19R 2.5VR6T Build

Which engine for the Turbo VR build is it gonna be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Here we go!

Just traded in my track prepped hybrid turbo GTI (fully parted it out, keeping the parts for this build!). I thoroughly enjoyed driving it on the track, street and everything in between but I wanted more from it (4Motion), and Android CarPlay. I did a lot of work to the GTI and learned many things but never made a build thread for it. This time's going to be different.

Just landed here in BC on Nov 1 and it's currently getting PPF wrapped and ceramic coated.

1604450545928.png

Overall goals
Like the GTI, I want this to be a capable track weapon while still being able to be a daily driver. I beat a lot of the comfort out of the GTI to make it great on the track and feel like I can push it even further with this one.

I have grand power goals for the car too, but cannot share details until spring 2021. Until then the Hybrid IS38 setup from the GTI will do :)

The 2021 Plan
Jan/Feb
  • Transfer all parts from the GTI to the R
    • Hybrid turbo + supporting mods (HPFP, plugs, Wagner intercooler, etc)
    • Coil overs, camber plates
    • Front BBK (mayyybe a rear BBK??)
    • IE V2 intake + TIP
    • CSF Radiators (main + DSG)
  • New RSB (25mm solid)
Spring (March/April)
  • ???? (secret)
  • Wookies in the woods? (COVID dependent)
  • Track it (Mission, Area 27, VIMC)
Summer/Fall
COVID allowing, who knows how things will be mid-2021
  • More tracking (Canadian tire mosport?, Ridge, more of the above)
  • Some events (GCVW, Leavenworth drive)
  • Cross Canada road-trip
What's happening now?
  • PPF & ceramic coat the fixed bumper
  • Breaking it in

Last edited:

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Car is back from PPF & ceramic application. The Oryx white is so glossy and beautiful to look at. Had a beautiful weekend with lots of sun to take the R out and start to feel it out.

Getting the bumper plate holder removed, filled & resprayed Monday so I can use a tow hook plate mount and have a pristine bumper. My detailer pointed out that the dealership didn't even center the plate to begin with lol (off an inch or so). Cannot unsee it now but thankfully corrected this week!
PXL_20201108_210318615.MP.jpg

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Post up how much it cost for the respray. I got quoted $3500cdn from the dealer lol

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Post up how much it cost for the respray. I got quoted $3500cdn from the dealer lol
Holy cow that's expensive!!!! $1100 was my quote from fast track auto body in Richmond!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Got the car back from the body shop, they did a great job! Time to enjoy the car a few months until I drop the hybrid IS38 back in.

Also ordered a full CSF radiator setup (main + aux rads) to go in with the hybrid turbo in January.

1605250124978.png

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Have you seen anyone confirming that the wagner IC will fit with the CSF main rad with the DQ381?

I e-mailed HPA about this and they said they have a customer booked in to install the CSF rad + HPA's intercooler (near identical dimensions as Wagner) and they said they don't see a problem. However, I did tell them to keep me apprised once it gets installed. Hoping we don't have to do any custom fabrication but will keep this thread updated with anything I learn.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Booked in to get all the go-fast-bits from the GTI installed at HPA in January. Here's what the upgrade list is looking like:
  • HPA hybrid IS38 turbo
  • Wagner IC
  • HPA HPFP
  • Stage 3 ECU/TCU tune
  • Catted Downpipe
  • IE V2 intake + TIP
  • CSF main + DSG rads
  • HPA dog bone
  • KW V3s w/ Vorshlag camber plates
  • H&R 25mm Rear sway bar
  • Front BBK reinstalled (colour change to white letters on black vs black letters on red)

The front bumper paint needs a bit more cure time given the winter weather before I get it PPF'd again, but soon!

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
While I'm waiting for the big part-in appointment I picked up a paid of Racingline DSG paddles in piano black. Can already tell these will be great at track days.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Car is back from PPF & ceramic application. The Oryx white is so glossy and beautiful to look at. Had a beautiful weekend with lots of sun to take the R out and start to feel it out.

Getting the bumper plate holder removed, filled & resprayed Monday so I can use a tow hook plate mount and have a pristine bumper. My detailer pointed out that the dealership didn't even center the plate to begin with lol (off an inch or so). Cannot unsee it now but thankfully corrected this week!
View attachment 191736

Car looks nice! Which ceramic product did you go with?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Car looks nice! Which ceramic product did you go with?

It was CQuartz applied by my detailer. He also protected my GTI and it was still in mint condition 4 years later when I traded it in.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
This wasn't exactly in the near term plan but a local R owner put their carbon fiber wheel up for sale. I moved the carbon trim from my old GTI wheel since it hasn't sold and moved it over to the new one.

Looks sharp! And I can probably sell my GTI wheel now since it's cheaper w/o a carbon trim.

1607299601245.png

1607299518584.png

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Dropped the car off at HPA for the big part in to FBO stage 3 + coils/swaybar/CSF radiators. Hyped to get this back!
1610998650031.png