GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas Quality Debate Shell, Petro, etc.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Interesting! Thanks for this insight.

If you live relatively close, the COOP in Aldergrove has E85. Not sure if that helps. I don't blend and run full Chev 94, but used to run Shell 92 in Blaine coz it's a 30min hop from Fleetwood.

Bobblehedjesus

Car(s)
2018 golf tsi
Not entirely to sure but i think one of my local Petro Canadas had a moisture leak in the tank. i filled there all the time and one day my chevy equinox suv died suddenly( yes i know it probably died cause it was a chevy...). after having a few mechanics look at it the agreed the fuels pumps died at the same time, they said i may have filled at the wrong gas station at the wrong time. same week it happened they were doing extensive repairs on their tank lines. after looking into it, shell apparently has a newer, stronger infrastructure for gas lines and production. so imo Shell for the win. Since changing over i have been happy with their service and gas quality! i could be crazy though..lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not entirely to sure but i think one of my local Petro Canadas had a moisture leak in the tank. i filled there all the time and one day my chevy equinox suv died suddenly( yes i know it probably died cause it was a chevy...). after having a few mechanics look at it the agreed the fuels pumps died at the same time, they said i may have filled at the wrong gas station at the wrong time. same week it happened they were doing extensive repairs on their tank lines. after looking into it, shell apparently has a newer, stronger infrastructure for gas lines and production. so imo Shell for the win. Since changing over i have been happy with their service and gas quality! i could be crazy though..lol
If a gas station has too much water in their tank you wouldn't make it out of the gas station. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank and if the level was high enough to get into your tank you would have got nearly straight water. Water does not stay mixed with gas. It's heavier and rapidly sinks to the bottom.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I get most of my gas from the Closest gas station to the south Philly refineries, a Sunoco that gets its gas via pipeline. Fresh gas, lots of volume, top tier. It’s not cheap though, at 3.81 for 93 tonight

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I get most of my gas from the Closest gas station to the south Philly refineries, a Sunoco that gets its gas via pipeline. Fresh gas, lots of volume, top tier. It’s not cheap though, at 3.81 for 93 tonight
Sorry but no gas station gets their gas via a pipeline. A pipeline brings the fuel to a local storage facility and then the additives are put into each different brand depending on their additive package and then trucked to the gas stations.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Sorry but no gas station gets their gas via a pipeline. A pipeline brings the fuel to a local storage facility and then the additives are put into each different brand depending on their additive package and then trucked to the gas stations.

not sure that’s true where I live, there are conspicuously marked oil pipeline posts leading from the highway to the gas station. Both near my parents house which is next to the Jersey turnpike (coincidentally, also a Sunoco), and my house next to the Philly navy yard/refineries. It’s about one mile direct via pipeline from the pin to the Sunoco. The Sunoco next to my parents is less than a mile from the holding tanks off the turnpike.

Attachments

• 6895E7F4-D6F6-404B-B1BC-D2217C4F35C2.png
    6895E7F4-D6F6-404B-B1BC-D2217C4F35C2.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 90

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
not sure that’s true where I live, there are conspicuously marked oil pipeline posts leading from the highway to the gas station. Both near my parents house which is next to the Jersey turnpike (coincidentally, also a Sunoco), and my house next to the Philly navy yard/refineries. It’s about one mile direct via pipeline from the pin to the Sunoco. The Sunoco next to my parents is less than a mile from the holding tanks off the turnpike.
Gasoline coming in via pipeline is just gasoline without the additives the brand name companies add to their gas to get it rated Top Tier gasoline. They. can't put the additives in the pipeline because each brand name gasoline has their own additive package. I used to own a gas station. If the pipeline running to a Sunoco station is a Sunoco only pipeline it could be true. That would be a rarity.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Gasoline coming in via pipeline is just gasoline without the additives the brand name companies add to their gas to get it rated Top Tier gasoline. They. can't put the additives in the pipeline because each brand name gasoline has their own additive package. I used to own a gas station. If the pipeline running to a Sunoco station is a Sunoco only pipeline it could be true. That would be a rarity.

well there’s something to be said that in both cases I’m referencing from personal experience, they are Sunoco stations. Sunoco has the contract with the NJ and PA Turnpikes, so every rest stop is a Sunoco. They’re heavily integrated with the local supply chain, and are the most common top tier brand around here. Shells all got bought out by Conoco and Amera recently, and Exxon Mobile has never had a strong foothold around here. There’s some BPs too, but the rest is Raceway, Wawa, Royal Farms, etc

I’m not doubting your knowledge of the business as a whole, especially with experience like owning a gas station. But things work different in different places, especially the northeast.

Bobblehedjesus

Car(s)
2018 golf tsi
If a gas station has too much water in their tank you wouldn't make it out of the gas station. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank and if the level was high enough to get into your tank you would have got nearly straight water. Water does not stay mixed with gas. It's heavier and rapidly sinks to the bottom.
that would explain why it died when the tank was on an 1/8 there was defo moisture in the tank and the seals were fine. again not entirely to sure . this station in peticular is at the bottom of a big hil and the area had semi flooded the week before.