jmason

Go Kart Newbie
An interesting (but pricey) new device for HPDE/track coaching:
Garmin Catalyst

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
It looks interesting but I have not had time to explore the documentation. Its main selling point appears to be the enablement of real time or near real time coaching, with video, within the device. It looks like data can be exported to Garmin Connect, but I don't know if you can get it from there to an analytical application like Race Studio Analysis or Track Attack. The bundled camera is only 30fps, and at first blush it does not look like it will acquire data from external sensors (OBDII, CAN bus, whatever). $1000 is not particularly expensive considering it comes with a camera.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I agree that it doesn't look like it will (easily) support creation of an in-car video with data overlay.

I wonder how good its GPS is? With the external GPS system I'm using, it's only good to 2.5m; I think that is CE50. Pretty hard to get exact location on a track if you don't know where you are to better than a 8 ft or so circle 50% of the time. I'm not sure that civilian GPS (i.e., L1 only, no ionospheric correction) can do any better without using differential GPS corrections.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I agree that it doesn't look like it will (easily) support creation of an in-car video with data overlay.

I wonder how good its GPS is? With the external GPS system I'm using, it's only good to 2.5m; I think that is CE50. Pretty hard to get exact location on a track if you don't know where you are to better than a 8 ft or so circle 50% of the time. I'm not sure that civilian GPS (i.e., L1 only, no ionospheric correction) can do any better without using differential GPS corrections.

Assuming the Garmin software cannot itself create such a video, then Garmin Connect will export a file that RaceRender can consume, so producing video via 3rd party software should not be an issue. The GPS is 10Hz, which is probably the same as your external device. I've compared lap times from a 10Hz GPS and a transponder and they were nearly identical, so the GPS is accurate enough.

You don't buy this product to do video or for general data acquisition. You buy it for the coaching features. If I were to buy one I would run it alongside my AiM SoloDL.