GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
EVO
Apparently my door doesn’t keep snow drifts out. I need to fix the slab and get a new one once things warm up.View attachment 202214

depending on your gap, I recommend tsunami seal to everyone. Great product...comes in different sizes and seals everything up nicely.

Rubber seals on the bottom of doors contract during extreme cold, so I’ll never have another garage without it. Keeps the warm in ... since most of your heat is lost around the door, plus keeps critters and other things out.

I use double sided tape to secure it rather than their permanent option

https://www.amazon.ca/Auto-Care-Pro...+seal&qid=1612470440&sprefix=tsunami+s&sr=8-3

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
depending on your gap, I recommend tsunami seal to everyone. Great product...comes in different sizes and seals everything up nicely.

Rubber seals on the bottom of doors contract during extreme cold, so I’ll never have another garage without it. Keeps the warm in ... since most of your heat is lost around the door, plus keeps critters and other things out.

I use double sided tape to secure it rather than their permanent option

https://www.amazon.ca/Auto-Care-Pro...+seal&qid=1612470440&sprefix=tsunami+s&sr=8-3

My garage is a disaster. It needs more than the gap fixed. The concrete drops about 5 inches across the front of the garage right to left and is cracked to shit, the door, and opener, is probably 25-30 years old, came off the tracks and folded like a taco last summer. Got some metal bracing keeping it from folding again. Previous owner riveted what looks like a piece of house siding to the bottom to fill the gap. Whole thing needs to be replaced but want the concrete repaired first so gotta wait til its warm.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I thought I posted my garage here but I guess not.

I put up new LED lighting and re-organized a bunch of shit so it actually looks alright now. Minus the snowblower and related bullshit taking up space because I haven't put it away yet.

My garage is a disaster. It needs more than the gap fixed. The concrete drops about 5 inches across the front of the garage right to left and is cracked to shit, the door, and opener, is probably 25-30 years old, came off the tracks and folded like a taco last summer. Got some metal bracing keeping it from folding again. Previous owner riveted what looks like a piece of house siding to the bottom to fill the gap. Whole thing needs to be replaced but want the concrete repaired first so gotta wait til its warm.

My door is ok, though that Tsunami seal would do me some good. The concrete floor itself is beyond repair though. It's bad. Like can't roll around on a creeper bad.

Pics forthcoming.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Has anyone used any sort of self leveling kit that can be had for cheap that goes on top of concrete? Also anyone have unfinished garage and have any cheap ceiling solution you used?

I've already done pricing for dry-wall/ insulation ect, I'm keeping my garage semi-unfinished as I'm not going to add dry-walls, ceiling maybe but not the walls.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Has anyone used any sort of self leveling kit that can be had for cheap that goes on top of concrete? Also anyone have unfinished garage and have any cheap ceiling solution you used?

I've already done pricing for dry-wall/ insulation ect, I'm keeping my garage semi-unfinished as I'm not going to add dry-walls, ceiling maybe but not the walls.
What you're looking for is often called "auto-level" by flooring guys and can be had in the flooring section at home depot or Lowes. It works fine over concrete and that's what it's really made for. You will still want something on the surface to make the color consistent and because you'll wear away the autolevel over time otherwise. Hot tires will rip it up, so epoxy coat is really cheap and easy.

I wish my garage was unfinished so I could finish it myself and put insulation in. Look into using some R6 foam, and just spray over it with ceiling paint. Not as smooth as drywall, and you may want to tape areas to make it look smoother, but it's cheap, insulating, and looks okay painted.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
What you're looking for is often called "auto-level" by flooring guys and can be had in the flooring section at home depot or Lowes. It works fine over concrete and that's what it's really made for. You will still want something on the surface to make the color consistent and because you'll wear away the autolevel over time otherwise. Hot tires will rip it up, so epoxy coat is really cheap and easy.

I wish my garage was unfinished so I could finish it myself and put insulation in. Look into using some R6 foam, and just spray over it with ceiling paint. Not as smooth as drywall, and you may want to tape areas to make it look smoother, but it's cheap, insulating, and looks okay painted.

Would the same product work if the surface was not smooth?

My garage floor is pitted and gouged like crazy

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Would the same product work if the surface was not smooth?

My garage floor is pitted and gouged like crazy
Yeah it will.

The primary use of it is to level flooring before putting down tile or glued bamboo/hardwood flooring. I'd recommend giving it 24 to 48 hrs to set at least if you have really deep gouges. It's essentially a resin with sand in it so you throw it out, and then push it around. It then slowly goes into the various dips and pockets and the sand settles there. To level it all out.

Keep in mind garages have to have a small grade so water has an evacuation path when you bring a wet car in or rain, snow, etc gets blown in. If it doesn't evacuate well it can eventually erode and destroy parts of the concrete or foundation. With the autolevel, you'd want to push more towards the back so that when it slides down the grade it still maintains the grade. If you're not comfortable with this sort of work there are garage specific products for patching cracks, but not really for the pockets or chips.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Garage pics.

Jeep is way over to the side to keep it away from the VW. The trash / wheelbarrow / snow blower are not usually there. I have a work counter / cabinets in the back of the garage full of tools and parts (in front of the VW) and the most important mechanics things are on the same wall. Shelving and cabinets on the Jeep side are mostly full of tools and car parts too. Mini fridge full of beer not pictured.

Photos showing the condition of the worst areas of the floor also included. We bought the house this way and I've lived with it like this for 4 years. Not the end of the world but not my ideal.

It's fairly dark out already and these cheapo Amazon LED lights do wonders. It's bright as hell in there.

20210204_174300.jpg20210204_174314.jpg20210204_174319.jpg20210204_174327.jpg20210204_174343.jpg20210204_174350.jpg

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
We had a pipe burst, so the vast majority of our first floor contents are in the garage, covered in dust :(

Add to that the logistics of having a dumpster in the driveway and shuffling cars around, complicated by the spousal unit not being able to drive manual.
That really sucks. Sorry to hear. I wish you a speedy fix and recovery. Insurance is helping with the coverage, I hope?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I thought I posted my garage here but I guess not.

I put up new LED lighting and re-organized a bunch of shit so it actually looks alright now. Minus the snowblower and related bullshit taking up space because I haven't put it away yet.

My door is ok, though that Tsunami seal would do me some good. The concrete floor itself is beyond repair though. It's bad. Like can't roll around on a creeper bad.

Pics forthcoming.

my floor is beyond repair so I’m just gonna jury rig it at the edge.
38A6E4B9-6D8A-430C-A7AF-9A0EE3279CD6.jpeg

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

I used it for a room in my basement. The issue is it is not strong so it wouldn’t hold up to cars long term. I installed pergo over it in my house.

you could look at having spray foam insulation put on the unfinished bit. Considered it for mine before deciding against it since I’ll never install a heater.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion

its tough to say, the amount I would need is a lot as the garage is like 27x26 roughly, so long term, if its 2k to get the concrete redone vs 500 and do it myself, I may just save up. I thought about foam board, wasn't sure if it was ok to use as a ceiling since the fire resistance factor and codes, wouldn't wanna have to take it down in the long run, plus its a little more expensive that metal ceiling with J channels.

With my new heater, it was snowing and about 30F out, after my workout the immediate area next to the gym was about 50. I assume with any type of ceiling up there, it would be 60-70... ah money lol rules everything round me

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
after doing some quick research, it looks like drywall is the cheapest by a good bit, problem is I would need to add more joist which would be a lot of wood needed, not sure if corrugated metal ceiling would need those same 16" joist addition but I guess i'll find out when I get there

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
after doing some quick research, it looks like drywall is the cheapest by a good bit, problem is I would need to add more joist which would be a lot of wood needed, not sure if corrugated metal ceiling would need those same 16" joist addition but I guess i'll find out when I get there

One thing to keep in mind is drywall without insulation behind it is going to be strictly cosmetic.