GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
FYI for anyone thinking of going the epoxy route, this is the best price I've ever seen on the product I just used. Rust-oleum Rock solid epoxy. $167.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ17...a_fabc_dlC_7huQFb69RBQW0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i've thought about going that route on and off. Ideally, no matter what they say, you need to get your concrete diamond polished, both to resurface under any oil/grease but also to introduce prouousity (word?) to the concrete for best adhesion. Even then, i feel like you would need to use rubber pads under your jackstands, and maybe even under your jack to be safe. but it looks great!

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
thanks, it was definitely a total pain in the ass - using two different stud finders, you would swear the studs are laid above the ceiling drywall like spaghetti, so i'm only so confident that these racks can actually hold the ~600 lbs each they claim to. if it wasn't for that, it would have been so much easier.

these are the fleximounts 4x8 racks PS, if anyone is interested (i see a lot of us could use some extra storage lol) - currently they have some pretty good promotions. I think it was less than 300 shipped for two 4x8 racks!
LOL @ Spaghetti... I thought it was just me / my garage that was like that... Seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to it. That added to everything being so high plus in and around the garage door attachments = PITA. But got it done and feel confident I found a stud for each attachment. Also lost about 10 lbs in sweat while doing it but it was worth it.

That sounds a good deal - the Gladiator rack was on sale for 144 plus tax I think for a single 4x8 but are normally 190ish. Guys, this could be a "nice" holiday project... if I/we havent put you off the idea already!

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
i've thought about going that route on and off. Ideally, no matter what they say, you need to get your concrete diamond polished, both to resurface under any oil/grease but also to introduce prouousity (word?) to the concrete for best adhesion. Even then, i feel like you would need to use rubber pads under your jackstands, and maybe even under your jack to be safe. but it looks great!

You can rent the diamond sander at Home Depot. I know a couple people who professionally redid the DIY epoxy and the difference was the pros diamond sanded the concrete.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
FYI for anyone thinking of going the epoxy route, this is the best price I've ever seen on the product I just used. Rust-oleum Rock solid epoxy. $167.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ17...a_fabc_dlC_7huQFb69RBQW0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would love to do something like that, but it'd be an absolute pain in the ass. Between taking everything out of my garage for a week, all the prep, etc., etc... Plus, all the walls in my garage are fucking popcorn textured. I can live with the ceiling. Asides from the basement that I finished myself, all the ceilings in the house are popcorn. Not my favorite, but whatever. But the walls? C'mon man...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've thought about just sheetrocking over it on the garage walls. But I just can't stomach the cost and work required for something that's basically just visual. The ceilings inside the house, they have that popcorn swirl pattern. It's far from my favorite, and I'd prefer just flat, but doesn't bother me enough to change.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Wow that is a super economically priced kit!

Is the sparsely used flakes the look you wanted? If you look at my OT thread you will see the amount of flakes used when a local pro did the work a decade ago. It's like stacked on top of each other liberal amounts of flakes before epoxy top coat.
I bought extra flakes for like $7.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I am in the process of building a new home (haven't broke ground yet) and making all those little decisions. My current home has epoxy floors and I love them, yes they are kinda slippery when wet but great when working on my cars. My current question is garage door openers. Does anyone here have a side mount (Jackshaft) garage door opener? Would love to hear about it. I have to place my outlets for the blueprint soon. Garage will be insulated and drywalled.
Here is a couple pictures of my current garage.

Attachments

• F4E82980-9D60-43E6-A73E-305A555C5E9E.jpeg
    F4E82980-9D60-43E6-A73E-305A555C5E9E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • 45ED91E1-018F-47AD-88BE-D897C85EF0E5.jpeg
    45ED91E1-018F-47AD-88BE-D897C85EF0E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Nice garage, GolfRRRR1. Looks like you are running the same lawn irrigation system as me. :D

I believe oddspyke is doing the side mount garage door opener, so might want to check with him.
My garage runs 3 Chamberlain overhead belt WiFi openers. Ceiling is a hair too low to do car storage lifts so went with the overhead. Had I waited to have the ceiling redone to vaulted, then can easily place storage lifts.. but too late now. I can still park 4 cars if I wanted to but only parking 3 cars and storage/work space. My other 3 cars are outside.