GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I get it 100%, the flat I lived in at the timne was part of a complex, everyone knew I was into bikes but I didn't make (much) mess or (much) noise, the 2 x 4 was just laying on the ground in front of my shed, I told folk what I was up to and no-one commented, let alone complained. Quoting my own earlier post "make up some wooden ramps & lay them on the ground as you enter / leave your garage, prop them up just inside the door when not in use". In other words as long as whatever precations you take are not permanent fixtures and don't get in other folks' way, likely no-one will be bothered. I find it's often a good idea to launch a 'preventative strike' as it were and mention to folk, especially the local 'nosey parker' or those most likely to complain or create stress, that you are just trying to protect you car & not build a massive garage, even if you'd like to. Easier to keep folk 'on side' as much as possible, helps make the (Golf) world go 'round....
I'm static and pretty low, I wouldn't say slammed but there is no finger room on top of rear tires and about maybe 1 finger above front tires. I recently went up my buddies driveway which is smaller and higher angle. I approached this from a side angle and do not drive straight up and there is no hitting, same with pulling out. I have a splitter too. I wouldn't mess with having 2x4's with getting out, too much hassle. I can only think you must really be slammed op

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My car is 100% standard, the bit of 2 x 4 was from my bike days, when I'd 'bump' bikes up it and into my shed, for a slammed car just a thin bit of wood on the deck may suffice. There is a seemingly low speed bump locally, the authorities should really put a sign up, locals slow right down but I've seen (and heard !) many cars have their undersides crunched against it. Drivers of 'seriously slammed to the deck cars' (mostly) slow down instinctively, the ones who don't can find themselves expensively 'beached' on it....

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
This reminds me of this R/R crossing where I usually take my cars out for a spin. It is super rough and there was a pickup 2 cars behing honking its horn like a maniac at me while I drove very slowly over the crossing, the guy floors it through the crossing while passing the car behind me and blows out his 2 sedan-like junk tires on the front. LOL

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Moving out of the old house today. I feel bad that I spent so much time cleaning it in prep for the move and it still looks like there is junk everywhere. It was a good garage though, loved the extra storage space for my work bench.
IMG_20200728_193126.jpg

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
oddspyke - Kind of a bitter sweet moment for you. I agree these tandem type garages are very useful space/storage wise. GL with your move.

I went up to my garage's attic the other day to check for mold and any weird bugs living up there.. Everything looked clean and checked out. I might start storing some smaller light stuff up there instead of taking all spill overs down to my basement storage.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
oddspyke - Kind of a bitter sweet moment for you. I agree these tandem type garages are very useful space/storage wise. GL with your move.

I went up to my garage's attic the other day to check for mold and any weird bugs living up there.. Everything looked clean and checked out. I might start storing some smaller light stuff up there instead of taking all spill overs down to my basement storage.
If you're looking for overhead space, I just discovered the existence of compact openers that run off the torsion bar. I'll be putting these in my next garage to free up all the overhead for storage racks.
Chamberlain RJO20

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If you're looking for overhead space, I just discovered the existence of compact openers that run off the torsion bar. I'll be putting these in my next garage to free up all the overhead for storage racks.
Chamberlain RJO20

Yes, if my ceiling was higher I would've gotten those, but at 11ft, I think it was, barely too low for car storage lifts unless I only keep sports cars. I run three WiFi enabled belt drive Chaimberlains.. they are very good. I open my garage doors with my iWatch and security is on all the time.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
This makes me hyperventilate. You poor, poor man. Can we help? A garage organizer GoFundMe campaign?

Would gladly accept. Im currently in the process of planning on putting up another shed in the back to hopefully clear some stuff out. I also do everything myself so i have a crap ton of tools for electrical, wood working, laser cutting, mechanical, etc. Tried talking the wife into letting me build like a 28-30 ft shed. She wasnt having it lol.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Would gladly accept. Im currently in the process of planning on putting up another shed in the back to hopefully clear some stuff out. I also do everything myself so i have a crap ton of tools for electrical, wood working, laser cutting, mechanical, etc. Tried talking the wife into letting me build like a 28-30 ft shed. She wasnt having it lol.
If we all pitch in like $5, I think it could cover a new shed. Support your moderators! Haha. But seriously, I've seen much dumber causes collect a lot of money on those donation sites. Start one, make it funny, maybe it'll go viral.

My new garage (the house part is definitely my wife's) is coming along nicely, hopefully I'll only be in temp housing 2 months. Siding went up and drywall goes in next week.
Screenshot_20200730-135030.png