GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Cool Audi.

Here is the $50 cajon I made. It’s got the brush spring snare so tom-roll slide/fill is a bit flat but the overall sound is actually quite good.

IMG_Apr152021at74929PM.jpg

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
No updates to my garage but I'll post another pic 😄

question, I have a roof like yours and its cold af in the winter, we added a heater but its still a little cold, I have thought about many ways to go about it but cant really find the cheapest best choice.

That insulation you have there on the roof, I thought you couldn't add it directly like that because there isn't a vapor barrier no?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
question, I have a roof like yours and its cold af in the winter, we added a heater but its still a little cold, I have thought about many ways to go about it but cant really find the cheapest best choice.

That insulation you have there on the roof, I thought you couldn't add it directly like that because there isn't a vapor barrier no?
Mold proof foam / 2 in 1 insulation panels. The bigger problem is it'll destroy your roof. Roof design banks on passive air flow under the plywood to cool the roof as the sun cooks it all summer (that's why roofs have ridge vents). If you insulate directly against plywood, your roof overheats and breaks down the asphalt shingles. It won't break in a week, but your 20 year shingles will probably only last 8-10 years. If you have a metal or rubber roof, you are probably ok though.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
I'm planning a relatively big garage re-org soon. I'm going to inherit some garage storage including a rolling butcher block work bench. This will be my first opportunity in over a decade to empty out the garage and reorganize everything.
Good luck. I find that garage reorganizations are miserable until you actually get done. Then it all becomes worthwhile.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
-Added another 100’ of septic line to the house.

-90’ of 15” ID corrugated drain pipe across the yard (250’ of trench leading up to and away from it total).

-3/4” PEX water line to the shop

-CAT6 to the shop

-1.25” conduit from the shop to the shed (to pull power)

And tons of grading to smooth it all out once I was done, including all around the shop since I ran out of time last year when I was building it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's only true if there is an attic. Roofs have ridge vents when there is an attic under it. That's why a house with a pitched roof has the insulation above the ceiling in the attic with open air space between the ceiling and the roof.
Mold proof foam / 2 in 1 insulation panels. The bigger problem is it'll destroy your roof. Roof design banks on passive air flow under the plywood to cool the roof as the sun cooks it all summer (that's why roofs have ridge vents). If you insulate directly against plywood, your roof overheats and breaks down the asphalt shingles. It won't break in a week, but your 20 year shingles will probably only last 8-10 years. If you have a metal or rubber roof, you are probably ok though.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion

I can sympathize with cold AF... Minneapolis here. You are right, you're not supposed to put it right up on the underside of the roof. I believe if there is space between the insulation and roof and you have soffit vents + ridge vent or something like that (I do not) it is acceptable. Basically I did this when I didn't know what I was doing and it is not proper. I've been meaning to drop it to "ceiling" height but just haven't gotten around to it.

All that being said, it does help. I have it behind the walls, too. If you have a heater and no insulation, it's not going to be that helpful. If you can figure it out, I would definitely insulate and do it properly, it will make a big difference.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just finished putting up 3 3x6 overhead storage shelves.
First one took me 6 hours to put together. I think a couple neighbors put their houses up for sale after hearing all the cursing.

First the stud finder I bought was broken. Didn't want to drive 30 min to harbor freight to exchange so took it apart. I should say ripped it apart as it's glued together. Easy fix.

After that I got started, and it was a pain working around the garage door track. Spoiler alert : foreshadowing.
Then the last joist was not 24" away. Also, since I got the 3' wide shelves, couldn't mount the brackets parallel, had to do perpendicular. Had to get creative with how to mount.

Was finally done and put all my heavy ass car parts up.

Then I open the garage and 😠😭. Yep didn't account for the top lip pivoting wide and hitting the bottom of the shelf.

Had to take everything down and take the whole thing apart to shorten the vertical brackets by 1 slot.

Finished the other 2 today in 3 hours.

Still have a lot of stuff to throw out, give away, hang up bikes, reorganize, but it already looks a ton better

Before
20210419_223712.jpg

After
20210419_220743.jpg

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Finally got a house with a garage big enough to actually fit a car in last fall. Been a crazy year for obvious reasons (young kids and a pandemic = lol what free time) but got a lot done the last few weeks.

First, some more overhead storage -

PXL_20201230_214843243.jpg

Vp7GT59.jpg

Then the big install - Newage Pro Cabinets. Made a giant pain in the ass thanks to the foundation wall that was 2-3" out from the drywall, and not close to plumb. F. Had to do a lot of furring out, get some longer leveling feet (the left lower cab is sitting on a low part of the foundation so the corner cabinet setup works, but it's too high for standard leveling feet... Etc. Etc.)

PXL_20210404_032416249.jpg

Son "helping"
PXL_20210412_232154460.jpg

And some organization done
PXL_20210418_205719357.jpg

PXL_20210418_193037127.jpg

Gotta print some more organizers for that drawer, but it's coming alone nicely.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
lol im dreadding doing 100' of french drain but gotta do what ya gotta do, and ya thats essentially what i thought about the roof insulation, either add drywall for a roof and loose some clearance or nothing at this point, my heater helps but its not insulated so it takes 30 min to get to about 50-60 when its like 20degrees out, learned the hard way working out in there first time this year blew out my knee. I'm hoping one of these coming weekend to paint the inside of my garage, small/medium job but it will look a lot better and reflect lighting

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Finally got a house with a garage big enough to actually fit a car in last fall. Been a crazy year for obvious reasons (young kids and a pandemic = lol what free time) but got a lot done the last few weeks.

First, some more overhead storage -

View attachment 210956

View attachment 210957

Then the big install - Newage Pro Cabinets. Made a giant pain in the ass thanks to the foundation wall that was 2-3" out from the drywall, and not close to plumb. F. Had to do a lot of furring out, get some longer leveling feet (the left lower cab is sitting on a low part of the foundation so the corner cabinet setup works, but it's too high for standard leveling feet... Etc. Etc.)

View attachment 210945

Son "helping"
View attachment 210958

And some organization done
View attachment 210959

View attachment 210960

Gotta print some more organizers for that drawer, but it's coming alone nicely.

That counter/cabinet setup is f***ing sick. Those are definitely going in my imaginary garage.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
@GTI Jake whats is up with the pipe in the ground? Did you install a throne in the garage?

The large 15” ID drain pipe is to keep my yard from flooding. The state of SC didn’t want to address the issue of their 16” ID concrete drain pipe carrying water under the road directly pointed at my back yard so I did it myself (which alone cost more than a new Is38 in materials).

These are the pictures I sent them from an average rain down here. They took a few weeks to get around to responding with “You’ll have that”.

Needless to say I wasn’t impressed, but rather than bitch about it I just fixed it (hopefully). Now that I’m done it probably won’t rain till December lol