GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Those are very cool. It's all about what you want to spend and how much free time you have. I got tons of quotes this time around and ultimately picked a DIY option based on cost / benefit and wanting to hit a timeline before I moved in. The downside to professional floor coating is you need 2 days for them to work, plus 48hrs to cure and they will only do the whole thing at once. If you don't have a lot of stuff, fine, but if you're like me, good luck finding a place for all your tools and vehicles for 4 days. If you DIY and have expansion seams, you can at least work in segments and move stuff around. In case anyone is curious or it's helpful, here are the options and prices of what I considered for ~750sqft:
Concrete paint: $80
DIY cheap epoxy: $200
DIY high end epoxy: $450 (what I went with)
Floor tiles (like race decks): $2500-4000 (depending on brand/quality)
Professional epoxy (5 year warranty): $3500
Professional resin (lifetime warranty): $6200

I've never actually gotten quotes, but those are about what I thought. My garage is the same size, so good reference, and good point about finding a place for all the stuff in the garage for 4 days 🤣

Could also maybe do a hybrid option, paint or epoxy then tiles for where the cars sit.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I was thinking getting some red/gray/black tiles for just the center section to dress up my garage queen, but then later decided against it because I would not be able to move the car around with my GoJacks. That is another reason why I want to go the real hard tiles like at car dealers next time. Then no issue sliding my cars around by myself. With epoxy flakes, I need my son to help me push the cars around at least the initial 4-5inches to get the car rolling. Once it starts rolling no issue.

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
A no longer used machinists garage is a perfect place to stick an 88 M5, haha.
DAAB0ECF-B84D-488F-92FF-C548703F468B.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Those are very cool. It's all about what you want to spend and how much free time you have. I got tons of quotes this time around and ultimately picked a DIY option based on cost / benefit and wanting to hit a timeline before I moved in. The downside to professional floor coating is you need 2 days for them to work, plus 48hrs to cure and they will only do the whole thing at once. If you don't have a lot of stuff, fine, but if you're like me, good luck finding a place for all your tools and vehicles for 4 days. If you DIY and have expansion seams, you can at least work in segments and move stuff around. In case anyone is curious or it's helpful, here are the options and prices of what I considered for ~750sqft:
Concrete paint: $80
DIY cheap epoxy: $200
DIY high end epoxy: $450 (what I went with)
Floor tiles (like race decks): $2500-4000 (depending on brand/quality)
Professional epoxy (5 year warranty): $3500
Professional resin (lifetime warranty): $6200

Tinted sealant goes on like paint and lasts a lot longer since it’s absorbed into the concrete. I was gonna do my shop with that but was too excited to move everything in

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I was looking at tinted sealers too before deciding on epoxy. There are some cool colors available. Either way I was not going to DIY it.. too much work for me especially in the space I had to work in.

I also know how it goes when it comes to getting excited to move things in a bit too early..I did the same when I knew I should've gotten the entire ceiling drywall redone, but too late now.. I have to spot repair the cracks at the seams now and then. It's not a huge deal since it's not too bad especially after I installed an exhaust fan in the attic, but a hassle especially if one's clumsy like me tipping over paint cans..

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I was looking at tinted sealers too before deciding on epoxy. There are some cool colors available. Either way I was not going to DIY it.. too much work for me especially in the space I had to work in.

I also know how it goes when it comes to getting excited to move things in a bit too early..I did the same when I knew I should've gotten the entire ceiling drywall redone, but too late now.. I have to spot repair the cracks at the seams now and then. It's not a huge deal since it's not too bad especially after I installed an exhaust fan in the attic, but a hassle especially if one's clumsy like me tipping over paint cans..

The biggest thing was I was swamped with orders and had in house installations to do (which sucked in my two car garage by comparison).

If the shop was up six months prior like I planned it would’ve been a whole different story, but wet weather pushed it back into summer aka busy season

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
My garage is no show car garage, but it is finally getting to where i am comfortable with!

Huge overgead storage racks over both cars, and found 4 FREE plastic wall cabinets - score! So now i finally have a place for all our shit. Paired some led shop lights hanging from the overhead storage and its starting to look pretty good in here IMO! :)
20201105_174107.jpg

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
My garage is no show car garage, but it is finally getting to where i am comfortable with!

Huge overgead storage racks over both cars, and found 4 FREE plastic wall cabinets - score! So now i finally have a place for all our shit. Paired some led shop lights hanging from the overhead storage and its starting to look pretty good in here IMO! :)
View attachment 191269
Respect on the double overhead racks. Gladiator? I put up one above our garage door and it was a tough job!!!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Respect on the double overhead racks. Gladiator? I put up one above our garage door and it was a tough job!!!

thanks, it was definitely a total pain in the ass - using two different stud finders, you would swear the studs are laid above the ceiling drywall like spaghetti, so i'm only so confident that these racks can actually hold the ~600 lbs each they claim to. if it wasn't for that, it would have been so much easier.

these are the fleximounts 4x8 racks PS, if anyone is interested (i see a lot of us could use some extra storage lol) - currently they have some pretty good promotions. I think it was less than 300 shipped for two 4x8 racks!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
FYI for anyone thinking of going the epoxy route, this is the best price I've ever seen on the product I just used. Rust-oleum Rock solid epoxy. $167.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ17...a_fabc_dlC_7huQFb69RBQW0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Wow that is a super economically priced kit!

Is the sparsely used flakes the look you wanted? If you look at my OT thread you will see the amount of flakes used when a local pro did the work a decade ago. It's like stacked on top of each other liberal amounts of flakes before epoxy top coat.