GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
No, any paint on the floor has to get removed before the epoxy, giant pain. Now if I drip paint it'll come right up.

Still a little uneven while it dries/cures, but it's looking good. I didn't do the vertical concrete cause I'm thinking about doing something fun with it, like a red stripe at the bottom.

View attachment 189742
View attachment 189743
I meant in general... an epoxy floor seems more like a luxury vs. painted walls but that might just be me.
The floor looks great as does the space overall. Can't imagine how excited you guys are to finally move in. Keep us updated!

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
502EDF01-8597-4B0B-9689-88896CC4F7A5.jpeg
38376599-EF7E-436D-A44C-05324BD66FC4.jpeg

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
They're letting me epoxy the floor before closing. Power wash, scrub and etch complete. More pictures to follow once the coating goes on.

What did you do to prep the surface?

I really want to do something with my garage floor, but I've DIY a past house and I know a bunch of other people who have too. It always peels up at the garage door/where the tires sit. 2 people I know diamond sanded it, they are the only ones with no peel.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
What did you do to prep the surface?

I really want to do something with my garage floor, but I've DIY a past house and I know a bunch of other people who have too. It always peels up at the garage door/where the tires sit. 2 people I know diamond sanded it, they are the only ones with no peel.
It's brand new concrete, which helps a lot because there's no oil or grease on it. Just power wash, hand scrape and acid etch. The acid etch is hard work and takes longer than people think. You really have to get after it with a deck brush for a while and when it dries, it should feel almost like a satin finish, but with 0 loose dust. And go thick on the epoxy. I used two 2.5 car garage kits on my 3 car garage.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
It's great that you know what you're doing. My garage is pretty big (still kind of outgrew it) and there is no way I would be able to DIY it.
I don't know if I know what I'm doing so much as I read a lot about it before I started; this is my third epoxy job and while I'm better at it, I'm still no professional. Also, it saved me $3k vs hiring a professional. Even if it ends up peeling later, I'll live with it for $3k.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You have experience so probably okay, but if only $3K more, I would definitely hire someone. I would hate to have to park my cars outdoors for several days while getting it redone..! And moving all my cabinets and stuff already in there... yikes.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
It's brand new concrete, which helps a lot because there's no oil or grease on it. Just power wash, hand scrape and acid etch. The acid etch is hard work and takes longer than people think. You really have to get after it with a deck brush for a while and when it dries, it should feel almost like a satin finish, but with 0 loose dust. And go thick on the epoxy. I used two 2.5 car garage kits on my 3 car garage.

My understanding is it's the smooth finish that makes it peel--basically nothing for the paint to adhere to--combined with moisture and the temp changes of the tires.

This is one of those home improvement projects I talk myself in and out of all the time. It's relatively easy and not particularly expensive. Plus, even if it does peel, I can redo it a whole bunch of times vs the cost of having it professionally done. Post back after winter, maybe it will motivate me 🤣

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
You can always go RaceDecks, Charlotte.:R! Those are also very cool too, and insulating (sort of).
Those are very cool. It's all about what you want to spend and how much free time you have. I got tons of quotes this time around and ultimately picked a DIY option based on cost / benefit and wanting to hit a timeline before I moved in. The downside to professional floor coating is you need 2 days for them to work, plus 48hrs to cure and they will only do the whole thing at once. If you don't have a lot of stuff, fine, but if you're like me, good luck finding a place for all your tools and vehicles for 4 days. If you DIY and have expansion seams, you can at least work in segments and move stuff around. In case anyone is curious or it's helpful, here are the options and prices of what I considered for ~750sqft:
Concrete paint: $80
DIY cheap epoxy: $200
DIY high end epoxy: $450 (what I went with)
Floor tiles (like race decks): $2500-4000 (depending on brand/quality)
Professional epoxy (5 year warranty): $3500
Professional resin (lifetime warranty): $6200